Regional Dialects

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I very much appreciate being able to "talk" with folks from different locations. We even have a new guy from Australia! My cousin went to school in Australia . . .

Anyway, my family has been from just about every side of the US and Canada, in just about every corner of the US. It took awhile to get here :).

We have done this on TEG before -- I think about 2 years ago -- but the NYTimes has made an easy test. It still takes 25 questions so, be patient! And, look at how your previous answers match other folks in the US as you go along. There is a map for the "previous question" answer on the right side.

I got my pies in the oven and just zipped right thru this! AAaaannd, they figured it out! Imma talking like folks in my neighborhood.

Click the little gardening guy to take the test:

Steve

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Haha, never been to Tuscon, i did the quiz twice and both times it suggested that as a city! The 2nd time i did it Pennsylvania, where i grew up, was red hot though! Fun :)

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
:hu Sigh! Didn't work for me. I got almost done and it said the site had problems.

I didn't see much correlation with where I live and how I speak. I am not sure I have that much of a regional dialect. All my reading may have filtered into my language. Perhaps I'll try it again later. :/

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was all over the map. I guess I blew it up, because it didn't generate a final result map for me. :(

Suprised they didn't ask what you call soda, pop, cola, etc...

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
journey, they asked that the 2nd time I took the quiz, definitely a regional thing! There were a few different questions each time I did it. A thing popped up saying their site was very busy, that it may take a while to load your map, when I was doing it. Digits has created an internet sensation! ;)

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
They asked me. Everyone around here calls it pop, but I call it soda a result of my visits to bars in Milwaukee. Cola is not a genaric. It refers to the brown stuff -- but not Dr. Pepper.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I guess I'm all Kansas talk! Wichita, Overland Park, and Kansas City. I did spend a week or so in Kansas City in 1974.

I tried to put the link in that showed the results but it doesn't do that. It just goes to the quiz start.

Last edited:

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Got it mostly right for me. See those three little maps that show the cities for most distinctive answers when you finish the quiz? My cities were Toledo, Ohio; Aurora, Illinois' and Wichita, Kansas. Mostly Midwestern except for Kansas.

Marshall, that link takes me back to the beginning of the quiz.

Latest posts