Regional Dialects

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Got it mostly right for me. See those three little maps that show the cities for most distinctive answers when you finish the quiz? My cities were Toledo, Ohio; Aurora, Illinois' and Wichita, Kansas. Mostly Midwestern except for Kansas.

Marshall, that link takes me back to the beginning of the quiz.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe I just got into it early - I follow the NYT on twitter. I'm sure I'm the only person who pays any attention to the Times ;).

It is all based on that regional dialect research I had on here before.

Heather, there is kind of a Mountain West sort of thing - that might be the Tucson dialect. It used to be fairly noticeable to me.

No, the big map at the end of the test showed the Twin Cities, Spokane, and Salt Lake City. SLC? Well, I have never thought they speak any different when I've gone thru. Sure lots of Utah people around here. Lots of people from Minnesota, too! One of the first thing I noticed when I got here from California.

What will they think of me back in California & Oregon!??? Well, I don't know but I'm afraid that no matter what words I chose - I'm developing my own dialect.

Steve, y'all

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
K, I removed it. Thanks SeedO.

North California is really a mix of dialects, and kind of no dialect, but some things show.

Words like "can't" really do stress that a in there, lengthen it some. "caan't". Almost sounds whiny, but nowhere near as much as South Coastal Californians, who say "caaaan't".

The one about the fizzy drink did not have for a possibility, the name I call it, "soda pop".

Last edited:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Haha, it got close. I live 75 miles north of Houston, Tx. The dialect map suggested Shreveport, La and Baton Rouge, La. Included was Jackson, Mississippi. I have deep family roots in Louisiana and Mississippi, but am Texan all the way. I live in east Texas, close to the Louisiana line, cook and eat Cajun food, and am just as happy in a salt marsh as I am in the deep woods. Gonna go take it again.......

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I did it a second time around out of curiosity. It came up with a location in Ohio, one in, Indiana, and another in Illinois. Pretty accurate!

They should allow you to choose more than one answer. In some cases I found I used more than one word, firefly and lightning bug for example. I also use crawdad and craw/cray-fish interchangeably.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
This time, it put me in Shreveport, La, Jackson, Ms, and Birmingham Al. The funny thing is that I have a definite slow Texas drawl. All I gotta do when I leave the state is open my mouth and people know immediately where I am from. :lol:

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh Bay!

... :love ...

By far, leaps and bounds, the most beautiful accent of the english language is...

A woman who speaks deep southern american.

Baton Rouge will do it.

South of Nee ahl unzzz...

Pretty sure that when i die of old age I want a talkative nurse from down there.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
It was pretty accurate on me. The cities were St Louis, Springfield, MO and Tulsa. Never been to Tulsa.

Latest posts