Rhodie Ranch 2022 Garden

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ducks4you ,

Remember that what is in a can of Libby's is not very closely related to C. pepo, the Halloween pumpkin. It is a C. moschata and much like Butternut squash.

They are all Cucurbita and the varieties of several species can look like a Halloween pumpkin, and people can use them for decoration, and most are edible, but there are some developed for looks and some for flavor. And, different folks have different names for them, as well ;).

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
You are in good company @Rhodie Ranch! Most people Hate anchovies and cannot stand it when somebody orders 1/2 sies with anchovies on a pizza bc the anchovy flavor permeates the whole thing.
These things are fads, pumpkin spiced _______, and that stupid new idea that all baked goods are made better with chocolate chips. I cannot pick out enough of the chips to eat them.
Blueberry muffins do not taste better with chocolate! It doesn't make a cinnamon bagel taste any better, either, IMHO.
I love a pumpkin pie made with canned pumpkin. I KNOW that everybody says cook down a pumpkin and it will make your pie taste Better, but I like it thick. Maybe I will figure out how to reduce the liquid and thicken it for my own tastes.

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I KNOW that everybody says cook down a pumpkin and it will make your pie taste Better, but I like it thick. Maybe I will figure out how to reduce the liquid and thicken it for my own tastes.
Wut? Maybe it is the variety of pumpkin that you are using. I've only once had a pumpkin produce liquid and that was the Cinderella pumpkin (I can't think of the more proper French name for it).

Are you baking the pumpkin or boiling it? We bake ours. That could be the difference too. My favorites are New England Sugar Pie (the strain sold by Baker Creek) and Winter Luxury. New England Sugar Pie keeps MUCH better though. We ate the last one in February and it was still in perfect shape.

New to us this year are Long Pie (from Uprising) and Idaho Gem (developed by Glenn Drowns over at Sand Hill).

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You are in good company @Rhodie Ranch! Most people Hate anchovies and cannot stand it when somebody orders 1/2 sies with anchovies on a pizza bc the anchovy flavor permeates the whole thing.
These things are fads, pumpkin spiced _______, and that stupid new idea that all baked goods are made better with chocolate chips. I cannot pick out enough of the chips to eat them.
Blueberry muffins do not taste better with chocolate! It doesn't make a cinnamon bagel taste any better, either, IMHO.
I love a pumpkin pie made with canned pumpkin. I KNOW that everybody says cook down a pumpkin and it will make your pie taste Better, but I like it thick. Maybe I will figure out how to reduce the liquid and thicken it for my own tastes.
I hope to make a pumpkin pie one day . I've never tried it but know I will love it

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hope to make a pumpkin pie one day . I've never tried it but know I will love it

combine two of your favorite things, custard and pumpkin along with suitable spices or none if you want to be a real purist about it, but most people add spices, cream, eggs, sugar and then put that in a pie crust and bake until done. we don't do pie crusts here much at all so we tend to eat our pumpkin without the other stuff. Mom is also a spice wimp so she's not much into pumpkin pie, but does eat it at times if someone else makes it or there's a storebought one...

me, i like pumpkin pies a lot. i've told this story a bunch of times, but as a 2yr old i learned how to climb up the cupboards so i could get at two pumpkin pies that were cooling on the countertop. i have no memory of it but i do understand my 2yr old self completely and agree with his adventuresome spirit and willingness to sacrifice his bottom for the goodness of the yumyums. and no, i don't know if i got spanked or yelled at or not. i'll have to ask Mom. :) [edit, she said she beat the s**t out of me - i'm pretty sure she didn't]

as for runny squash, yes, some have more liquid in them than others. cook them down or not whatever you prefer. we eat them and enjoy them all.

Last edited:

Latest posts