Rhubarb

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Never had rhubarb, what does it taste like?
Well Bay, by itself in a cobler or pie it can be a bit on the tart side depending on how much sugar you may add to it. However, if one combines the rhubarb with any variety of fruit into a cobler, or pie, you will have a gastronomic delight. A rhubarb relish is really good as a side / topping to a meal. :drool You can also make it into a wine or cordial that is simply fabulous. :thumbsup

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
. . . However, if one combines the rhubarb with any variety of fruit into a cobler, or pie, you will have a gastronomic delight. A rhubarb relish is really good as a side / topping to a meal. :drool You can also make it into a wine or cordial that is simply fabulous. :thumbsup

Don't let bobm lead you astray. Rhubarb pie can stand alone as a great gastronomic delight. If fact, in many places rhubarb is called "pie plant" as evidence of its primary use. (That knowledge could have won a game show contestant quite a bit of money had she known.)

It is true that many people choose (or prefer) to add strawberries to their strawberry-rhubarb pie, and it makes a fantastic treat. Actually that was a serendipitous mistake made by people who heard of a rhubarb variety called "strawberry" and so, added strawberries to the rhubarb.

Rhubarb is just about the first produce in the garden each spring around here, but strawberries are ripening about the end of rhubarb time so the pairing seems natural.

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yep, it has a fantastic tartness to it. I always like my pie and jam with straight rhubarb rather than adding other fruits to it. I'd like to find some other things to do with it even though I could eat rhubarb pie every week and not get sick of it.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep, it has a fantastic tartness to it. I always like my pie and jam with straight rhubarb rather than adding other fruits to it. I'd like to find some other things to do with it even though I could eat rhubarb pie every week and not get sick of it.

Oh! Somewhere around here is a post by digitS about his Rhu-b-que sauce.
I'll go look....

edit- I can't seem to find it, we'll need to call Steve in for help...
Hey @digitS, we need some assistance over here please!

Last edited:

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Rhubarb crisp, rhubarb coffee cake, rhubarb sauce on ice cream!
You can also cut it up and freeze it, dry pack, or in a syrup or fruit juice.

We eat a lot of it, the kids used to call it 'the weed you eat with sugar'. :D
I still don't know why they called it a weed.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gave my dad many starts, it always died. That was southern KY. Don't think it likes heat.

Flavor-think of making pie with sweet tarts. Acquired flavor once acquired becomes an addiction. Unlike wife, I can't eat raw.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
My MIL makes a rhubarb quick bread, sorta like a pound cake...to die for. The coffee cake sounds similar.

Latest posts