Rhubarb

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I made a plum (frozen) and rhubarb crisp the other night, it was YUMMY but I had forgotten to buy the vanilla ice cream so it seemed like it was missing something. I'm surprised it came out okay because DH accidentally turned the oven off while it was in there. Mine also sent up flowers already, I don't remember them being so early the past few years, I thought maybe it was the greenhouse weather causing it to be early.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I made a Rhubard Strawberry pie last week. Will be making a Rhubarb custard cake this week and thinking about making some loaves of Rhubarb bread. :drool I see there are a 1/2 dozen seed heads forming, I will pull those out when I cut the rhubarb for the cake.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Made rhubarb salsa for lunch. Didn't seed jalapeño pepper, so had little bite. I was surprised it was good. Now rhubarb muffins in oven. Wife thinks I've went off deep end. Did that long time ago.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Rhubarb salsa??

Too hot here for baking! DW bought some California strawberries and we are eating them in cold cereal!

Okay. We aren't used to it yet -- first day that the thermometer has hit 80°f !

Steve

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I made a Rhubard Strawberry pie last week. Will be making a Rhubarb custard cake this week and thinking about making some loaves of Rhubarb bread. :drool I see there are a 1/2 dozen seed heads forming, I will pull those out when I cut the rhubarb for the cake.

Would you share the recipe for your rhubarb custard cake (or @Gardening with Rabbits - your rhubarb custard bars)?
I'm hosting a wedding shower in a couple of weeks, I think my niece would love that!

DH is out picking some rhubarb now, not sure what he has in mind, but I know I will be eating it! :celebrate

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
SIL came out bearing gifts of rhubarb crumble. Quite an original way to ask for more rhubarb, huh? She went home with a healthy collection of rhubarb stalks. She plans to make pies for her children.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Would you share the recipe for your rhubarb custard cake (or @Gardening with Rabbits - your rhubarb custard bars)?
I'm hosting a wedding shower in a couple of weeks, I think my niece would love that!

DH is out picking some rhubarb now, not sure what he has in mind, but I know I will be eating it! :celebrate

Here you go. I hope they like it. I will put the link to so you can see a picture of it. http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/rhubarb-custard-bars?keycode=ZPIN0414

TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 50 min. + chilling
MAKES: 36 servings
Ingredients
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • dollar-green2.png
    1/4 cup sugar
  • dollar-green2.png
    1 cup cold butter
  • FILLING:
  • dollar-green2.png
    2 cups sugar
  • 7 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • 5 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed and drained
  • TOPPING:
  • 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score

I see GareningwithRabbits was faster than I.

Rhubarb Custard Cake

1 box yellow cake mix
4 cups diced rhubarb
1 cup sugar
1 pint whipping cream (do not whip)

Make cake according to package directions and pour into well greased and floured 9X13 cake pan. Top with rhubarb. sprinkle sugar over rhubard, pour cream over all. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes until golden brown and springs back when lightly touched. (The custard forms on the bottom during the baking. )Keep in refrigerator. Good with cool whip, ice cream or alone.

This is really easy and REALLY good. I always get asked for the recipe. ;)