Rhubarb

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, rhubarb salsa isn't bad. Tastes better than sounds. Because of apple, think tart apple salad.

Did a search of rhubarb on Internet. One of few things better for you cooked than raw. Cholesterol control, diabetes, and Alzheimer's. The last one made some stress as it lowers cholesterol and cleans out arteries.

Something I love and good for me.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't do crusts well, Mary.

In fact, DW did most of it :). I helped!

Got the pie pans out, found recipe, weighed the rhubarb . . . took the pies out of the oven . . . sampled.

Steve

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Carol Dee and @Gardening with Rabbits - Thanks so much for the recipes! Oh they both sound delicious! The shower is June 8, 35 are invited, I think I will do both! OK, I won't lie, DH is doing the cooking.

@digitS', pie crust is one of the few things DH does not like making and I am pretty good at, hmmm, or maybe it's like the reason I don't know how to light the grill. :p

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The rhubarb I harvest now, I stew, adding sugar to taste, vanilla extract, and a touch of cinnamon. I love those stand up freezer bags, which I fill using a canning funnel, to keep the zip top clean.
By my next harvest, the strawberry's should be ripe, so I stew up the two up together. I can use the stew for pie filler, or crumbles, or just the way it is..love it!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ya'll have my attention with all this rhubarb chatter. Will rhubarb grow in a hot place? Nooo.....not that hot place......will it grow in Texas?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
My folks could never get it to survive Kentucky heat. Can try, not the end of the world if it doesn't.

Assume you've eaten it? Had preacher from Tennessee who never had it. Wife made a pie, gave it to them. They did not like it.

Latest posts