Ringo’s Lambs! Baymule’s 5th Lambing

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Aww, poor little guy. I have heard of this also, (in foals) but don't recall the remedy. Seems like it may not be too serious since his back pasterns have strengthened already.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just got caught up reading this post! They are all so cute! Makes me want to have one, haha.

With all the math I got confused. So how many lambs has Ringo sired now? How many do you plan on keeping?

Mary
This makes 10 from 6 ewes. There are 2 more ewes expecting, maybe in another month or so. And I have Ringo with 2 more ewes that are now bred, they will be due in March. Two of the ewes that have lambed are on my cull list, maybe 3. So far, I am keeping 2 of the ewe lambs. Whether or not they make the final cut depends upon their resistance to worms and parasites, how they grow to size and if they become good mothers or not. I also want ewes that have twins or outstanding single lambs.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our local TSC doesn't have the selenium/E gel, but two others do, 40 and 50 miles away. We are going that direction tomorrow, so will stop and get it for him.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
This makes 10 from 6 ewes. There are 2 more ewes expecting, maybe in another month or so. And I have Ringo with 2 more ewes that are now bred, they will be due in March. Two of the ewes that have lambed are on my cull list, maybe 3. So far, I am keeping 2 of the ewe lambs. Whether or not they make the final cut depends upon their resistance to worms and parasites, how they grow to size and if they become good mothers or not. I also want ewes that have twins or outstanding single lambs.

How do you tell if they are resistant to parasites? Do you do fecal tests on them periodically?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
How do you tell if they are resistant to parasites? Do you do fecal tests on them periodically?
Yes. We run them through the chute, I “dig for brown gold” via a nitrile glove, turn it inside out and write the sheep’s name on it. Then I do the preparation for McMasters slides and count worm eggs under a microscope. Then I know which ones need worming. If I have to keep worming individuals, they go on the cull list. I learned how in March, when we went to go get Ringo. Since then, I taught 2 other people. We called it a Poop Party! LOL It’s a valuable tool in flock management.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes. We run them through the chute, I “dig for brown gold” via a nitrile glove, turn it inside out and write the sheep’s name on it. Then I do the preparation for McMasters slides and count worm eggs under a microscope. Then I know which ones need worming. If I have to keep worming individuals, they go on the cull list. I learned how in March, when we went to go get Ringo. Since then, I taught 2 other people. We called it a Poop Party! LOL It’s a valuable tool in flock management.
It's great that you can do the testing yourself. Otherwise I imagine it would get pretty expensive.

Mary

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Don't want to cost you $, but I would talk to your Vet and have the Vet do it. With foals, it is imPERATIVE that the legs are straight, or else the horse is worthless. With a ram lamb, not so much, BUT, you're gonna feel dumb if you don't splint them right. Still, your Vet might tell you to do it yourself.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't want to cost you $, but I would talk to your Vet and have the Vet do it. With foals, it is imPERATIVE that the legs are straight, or else the horse is worthless. With a ram lamb, not so much, BUT, you're gonna feel dumb if you don't splint them right. Still, your Vet might tell you to do it yourself.
They are starting to straighten out. I gave him the selenium/E gel this evening and noticed that he is a little more upright. I was told to let it be for several days, as most of the time they straighten up.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
They are starting to straighten out. I gave him the selenium/E gel this evening and noticed that he is a little more upright. I was told to let it be for several days, as most of the time they straighten up.

Wait and see is a good plan. Sometimes splinting can prevent them from straightening on their own.

Latest posts