Ringo, Our New Katahdin Ram

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
From our house it is 1 1/2 hours to Interstate 30, which we took to Texarkana. There we picked up I-40 that we stayed on all the way to just outside of Nashville, where we took I-840 over to I-65, we went south and they live just a few miles off I-65. Interstate all the way and we made like a bread truck and hauled buns!

We sure were tired when we got home. We were pretty wasted all day yesterday, but I couldn't stay inside, I kept going out to see Ringo.

@seedcorn you are right, rams are DANGEROUS. I would have hauled that bad boy to slaughter and had the satisfaction of eating him. LOL I have been VERY conscious of my rams, especially with the grands around. I adore Ringo, but I will still remember that he is a ram. Gosh, what a majestic animal. He will leave his feed to come to me for attention. He is this awesome animal wrapped up in a ram suit. I'm gushing here, aren't I?

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay ... docility is great in a ram and I highly endorse it's value, but , since the ram is half the flocks' value, let us see a conformation shot , you know the body features that he has that will be passed on to the next generation that has economic edible values. Since you purchased this ram from someone who used him on their ewes, what is the quality of his lambs and are they being sold for a PROFIT? What is the production record of his dam and grand dam... number of lambs per year as well as their weaning weights . How many of his male siblings has been used to breed and were they PROFITABLE for their owners ?

Last edited:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay ... docility is great in a ram and I highly endorse it's value, but , since the ram is half the flocks' value, let us see a conformation shot , you know the body features that he has that will be passed on to the next generation that has economic edible values. Since you purchased this ram from someone who used him on their ewes, what is the quality of his lambs and are they being sold for a PROFIT? What is the production record of his dam and grand dam... number of lambs per year as well as their weaning weights . How many of his male siblings has been used to breed and were they PROFITABLE for their owners ?
While of some value-no one wants junk-safety around grands trumps ALL. IF she was in the business of raising breeding stock or selling 4H animals, then yes, valid questions. I take it that these sheep are more a hobby with benefits.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Glad he is gentle as you are correct about rams. Came close to killing a friend of mine-put him in ER. His boys loaded that ram up nextvday for market....surprised they didn’t just shoot him.
I would have. IT AMAZES me what some people put up with in their livestock!! I was reading about TB's the other day, and it was written that Man O'War's sire, "Fairplay" and grandsire, "Hastings" had ROTTEN temperaments. I do not believe that it is genetic. HE wasn't mean. Here he is with his groom, Will Harbut, who just adored him. Btw, the halter with a chain is necessary when you lead a stallion bc their brain turns off when they smell a mare in heat.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/451134087643736671/?lp=true
Abdullah (Traekener, international show jumping champaion), was schooled in a ring surrounded by broodmares at pasture. They deliberately taught him to behave under halter and under saddle. He had a special fleece covered halter which they led him with when it was time to "service" a mare. He KNEW the difference bc somebody had thought to gently train him correctly. Mostly good training is firmness and KINDNESS. I imagine that kindness is more important.
I took a 6mo GS back to the shelter many years ago bc he tried to kill my cats and attacked one of my horses in his own Stall!!!! Eva is now 9 months old. She remains very sweet and affectionate. Yesterday our neighbor, who also reads the water meters, stopped in the porch to visit. Eva was loving on him. She DOESN'T know him, but she knows US, and can read our body language. Still, I LOVE her huge and loud bark and great growl. I have been training her to bark from the yard but not advance to the street, and to stop barking at our neighborhood children, bc they are certainly NO THREAT.
I have heard many stories of show horses that are downright dangerously mean, but it is tolerated bc their owners are making big bucks (and probably using those horses to support their $stables.)
My neighbors love my horses. They come up to the fence and get petted. Several neighbors bring them apples periodically. They haven't ever been abused and they trust.
I believe that animals that are routinely beaten for indiscretions/disobediences turn out mean. Yesterday Eva ran down the street when we were out during the morning feeding. I was home all day, and SHE spent the rest of the day in her crate. POINT MADE. She stuck to me like glue today.

Last edited:

thejenx

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Congrats on the new addition to the herd bay!
Glad he's a gentle ram!
When I was maybe 10-11 years old I kicked the soccerball across a creek, so I jumped over the 3 ft wide creek and onto the neighbours pasture. There was a big herd of sheep in it too, we had a few sheep ourselves so I was not afraid of them. On my way back with the ball I was suddenly flat on the ground, didn't know what happened at first, but I had been tackled by the ram! Tried to make it to the creek but he kept coming, I managed to climb on a nearby fence and stayed up there until my big brother came to the rescue. :hugs

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
His previous owners had unregistered ewes to start with. They started up grading their flock with registered ewes. they sell their good registered lambs for $500. Half their flock is still unregistered, they sell a lot of their lambs at market. They are making a profit.

They stay on top of parasites, which rob your profits. His offspring is very resistant to parasites.

I have mixed Dorper/Katahdin ewes. I am going to start upgrading my flock with registered ewes that come from some top breeders.

The biggest reason is SAFETY around my grand daughters. Period. Especially the youngest, age 2, since she could walk, she has made a beeline for the sheep. She is fearless. I want to encourage her all I can.

Latest posts