Rodents destroying the garden

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here are some colorful native birds. It's only a very simple 30 seconds of pictures and birdsong that I put together.

I have seen all of them and more in my gardens except the Western Tanager. I visited Tanagers on Granite Lake, which was only a few miles from where I used to live (& only a stone's throw from @thistlebloom 's home).

There were Wood Ducks that lived on Granite Lake. I hope that they are all still there and that Thistle' is protecting all of them from stone throwers.

:) Steve

I have seen those here too, plus many more. We really have a wonderful variety, and I have noticed birds a lot more as I've learned to recognize them and know their names.

Regarding the cat vs bird issue, it's possible to train a cat, at least with my limited skills I've managed some success. I have always made it a non debatable point to my cats that loitering around the feeders will have consequences.
I don't even have to be out there anymore, or come outside when they are passing by that area.
I have watched from the window and when they are within that invisible perimeter they gather themselves into a trot swiveling their ears and get quickly past. It will need occasional reminders to keep them sharp.

Some cats seemed more programmed to hunt birds than others. we had a young one that would not stop no matter what I used as a dissuasion and he is no longer with us.
We also had a female that was so keyed on to rodents that she never even looked at a bird. She was my best gopher patroller and I had no gopher problems her entire life. She would bring them to the patio door for me and I would trade them for a treat.

So, I will keep on keeping outdoor cats, they are an integral part to my life here. I do what I can to keep them from preying on birds which is not their job. And encourage them to do their job which is keeping the rodents from overpopulating.

Yeah, I would for sure protect any ducks (or other animals) from stone throwers.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't have a cat. My son in law is terribly allergic to them, my dogs hate them and one of my dogs favorite appetizer is kitty snacks.

Latest posts