Rodents destroying the garden

Ann Rose

Sprout
Reaction score
Hi friends,

Recently- about a week ago, while working in my backyard, I heard some major tapping from the deck basement. Since I was alone, I didn't have enough courage to go up and check what it was. But as the noise had grown louder, I and my husband dared to give it a check last Tuesday. We were shocked to see a whole family of rodents with newborn babies. I didn't want to evacuate them as they had babies. But the problem has grown worse over the past 2 days- they ransack my garbage worse than crows and they freak me out. They almost gave me a heart attack today, as one of them pushed past me after sniffling through the garbage when I was coming home.

I have a beautiful garden in the backyard with a lot of flowers. Now you can no more call it a garden as it is completely destroyed by rats. I can't any longer take this mess and I want them out of my property asap. I was wondering whether there are any DIY methods to evacuate them or is it necessary to call a Power Pest Control? I am currently living in Oakville. Please let me know if there is any solution. I haven't dealt with this before and my DH also has no idea to take care of this. Please help

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
JustOneBite....works quick, works every time and it's a cheap, effective solution.

http://www.justonebitebrand.com/

I like the bars rather than the pellets, as they have to gnaw the bars to get any off it, whereas they can stuff their cheeks with those pellets and take them back to the nest to store them.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
if you want to try a non-poisonous way you can get 7 gallon buckets, put some water in the bottom so they will drown and then bait them to come out on a round object which will rotate and drop them in the water. this is a common trapping method and there are plenty of youtube vids on the design out there. just have to remember to empty the bucket once a day. bury them in the garden down deep enough - they make great fertilizer.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi friends,

Recently- about a week ago, while working in my backyard, I heard some major tapping from the deck basement. Since I was alone, I didn't have enough courage to go up and check what it was. But as the noise had grown louder, I and my husband dared to give it a check last Tuesday. We were shocked to see a whole family of rodents with newborn babies. I didn't want to evacuate them as they had babies. But the problem has grown worse over the past 2 days- they ransack my garbage worse than crows and they freak me out. They almost gave me a heart attack today, as one of them pushed past me after sniffling through the garbage when I was coming home.

I have a beautiful garden in the backyard with a lot of flowers. Now you can no more call it a garden as it is completely destroyed by rats. I can't any longer take this mess and I want them out of my property asap. I was wondering whether there are any DIY methods to evacuate them or is it necessary to call a Power Pest Control? I am currently living in Oakville. Please let me know if there is any solution. I haven't dealt with this before and my DH also has no idea to take care of this. Please help
You did not want to kill the baby rats? Baby rats grow up to be big rats! People forget that wild animals carry terrible diseases.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had a cat and he could not keep up with the rats. He was a great hunter and forager, but rats breed quickly and have a lot of babies, so you'd need many, many cats to kill and eat all those rats. Even if they would eat the rats.

As many rats that are described in that post...so many they destroy a whole garden...it's going to take more measures than a bucket or a cat. If even one breeder is impregnated and left alive, she will have many replacements coming along and they can breed early and reproduce quickly.

A ratter can help but they can't get into buildings where rats can hide in the walls and such, so even a good ratter is limited if one wants complete removal of the rats.

If these humans were not moving material for these dogs, they'd not be killing all those rats....

The poison can be placed in buildings where pets cannot get in and I've yet to see one of my dogs or cats try to eat a rat that died from poisoning...they just won't do it. You place the poison and check the next few days...the rats will come out in the open to die, you dispose of their bodies. When you stop finding rats, you can take the remaining poison back up and save it if you see any more rats in evidence.

Latest posts