Rodents destroying the garden

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I still have that problem but it seems to be better. My neighbor paid $500 for 2 months service. They put out poison and traps. He caught 14 in two weeks. Haven’t seen him to get an update.

They left my brócoli and cauliflower alone this fall and haven’t touched the rest of my plants. They are however chewing on my coop. I imagine they’re using the wood to sharpen their teeth. It’s pretty extensive but you can’t see it since it’s up on top. I can always replace the trim and paint if I have too. I much prefer that then eating my plants.

Mary

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Hi Ann Rose ~ " you didn't want to evacuate them ~ because they had babies "

Oh, welcome ```

Looks like you'r raising rodents ~ unless you plan to give these rodents the Vote ~ I suggest you ~ get rid of them ~ in the most direct method possible ```

Best of luck with this years garden ``` I didn't see where you said ~ what rodent these are ~ mice ~ rats ???

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I keep 5 inside/outside cats and one cat that cannot be persuaded to come inside, so she lives in the barn. When I was down to one cat (farm field on the other side of the fence, and we used to have an elevator/silo 5 blocks away) we had mice in the kitchen!!! :somad Mice don't have a bladder, so they pee/poo constantly and can spread diseases AND they get into your kitchen drawers and over your flatware and dishes.
Now, NO mice in the house, NO visible mice when I am in the barn AND the rats that were breeding in the "used to be zombie foreclosure" across the street, now purchased and cleaned up who set up house under my chicken's coop are gone. I even saw a headless one caught by my barn cat to feed her kittens. Also, the new owner across the street (who is fixing the place up to flip it) doesn't have any mice, either and it is ALL my cats' work.
Yes, if the infestation is large, your need ratters, like terriors to clean it out. Otherwise, several cats will do the job for you. Plus 5 of my kitties are lap cats, too.

Last edited:

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
I had a cat and he could not keep up with the rats. He was a great hunter and forager, but rats breed quickly and have a lot of babies, so you'd need many, many cats to kill and eat all those rats. Even if they would eat the rats.

As many rats that are described in that post...so many they destroy a whole garden...it's going to take more measures than a bucket or a cat. If even one breeder is impregnated and left alive, she will have many replacements coming along and they can breed early and reproduce quickly.

A ratter can help but they can't get into buildings where rats can hide in the walls and such, so even a good ratter is limited if one wants complete removal of the rats.

If these humans were not moving material for these dogs, they'd not be killing all those rats....

I'll bet that was fun for the whole family

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had a cat and he could not keep up with the rats. He was a great hunter and forager, but rats breed quickly and have a lot of babies, so you'd need many, many cats to kill and eat all those rats. Even if they would eat the rats.

As many rats that are described in that post...so many they destroy a whole garden...it's going to take more measures than a bucket or a cat. If even one breeder is impregnated and left alive, she will have many replacements coming along and they can breed early and reproduce quickly.

A ratter can help but they can't get into buildings where rats can hide in the walls and such, so even a good ratter is limited if one wants complete removal of the rats.

If these humans were not moving material for these dogs, they'd not be killing all those rats....

The poison can be placed in buildings where pets cannot get in and I've yet to see one of my dogs or cats try to eat a rat that died from poisoning...they just won't do it. You place the poison and check the next few days...the rats will come out in the open to die, you dispose of their bodies. When you stop finding rats, you can take the remaining poison back up and save it if you see any more rats in evidence.

watched the 2nd video..dang they had a rat problem.......

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
My sister has some farm acreage...I hesitate to call it a "farm"...but she has scads of dogs like that, all kinds, shapes and sizes. Can't stop collecting. The latest are two Border Collie puppies. They don't actually do any kind of work there except hunting the feed bowls, but she has a full ton of canines all the time.

These are farms over in the UK mostly and they keep ratters and also borrow ratters for days like this. They are even using ferrets, mink and terriers together to kill rats over there, as well as to kill rabbits.

This one is pretty fast action!

Latest posts