?? Roo just died?

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, I didn't open him up, I wish I did though. I left my 1 year old alone in the house to run out there and remove the body real quick. If you leave her in the house more than 1 second on her own you'll come back to the toilet paper unspooled, the flour stretched across the floor, your phone in the toilet, and the dogs covered in highlighter. She may be 15 months, but she definitely knows when mom is busy and she can do more fun things. >_>

I don't think he could have ingested anything poisonous. He's in an enclosed run with a roof on it, and 3 layers of fencing between them and the outside world. I've lost a lot of birds to raccoons and hawks this year, so no outdoor time for them.

Listening to you guys, a heart attack sounds about right. I'm glad it was at least pretty quick for him. :(

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, I didn't open him up, I wish I did though. I left my 1 year old alone in the house to run out there and remove the body real quick. If you leave her in the house more than 1 second on her own you'll come back to the toilet paper unspooled, the flour stretched across the floor, your phone in the toilet, and the dogs covered in highlighter. She may be 15 months, but she definitely knows when mom is busy and she can do more fun things. >_>

I don't think he could have ingested anything poisonous. He's in an enclosed run with a roof on it, and 3 layers of fencing between them and the outside world. I've lost a lot of birds to raccoons and hawks this year, so no outdoor time for them.

Listening to you guys, a heart attack sounds about right. I'm glad it was at least pretty quick for him. :(
Better than getting eaten by a predator. Love the description of your daughter. Like kids and dogs.. Beware when the house gets quiet.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
i didn't know they weren't smart enough to know better what to eat. learn something new every day...

For the most part they do know what or what not to eat as far as plants go. It's not that they recognize plants instinctively but poisonous plants generally taste bad. Dosage comes into play also. One bite won't kill them, even if they swallow it. So if they take a bite of something and it tastes bad they move on. Of course there can be exceptions to this. But in general if a plant is toxic enough to kill them it will taste bad to them. Or the toxicity level is so low they won't eat enough to harm themselves. Chickens typically free range in all kinds of different plants, some toxic and some not. It would be really unusual for one to poison itself.

Another case would be where you keep them in a closed barren run. Nothing green at all. If you toss in a toxic plant they may eat a lot of it just because they can't get other greens.

With living animals this would be really unusual, but you can never say never. But this does not sound like it. It was too quick.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I let my hens raise all of the chicks. It was interesting to see which breeds ate what, and what the mama hens taught the babies to eat. I had game hens, RIR hens, PR hens, and some were half EE/game. I would guess they learn by example and their taste.
Also, I had read somewhere that birds can eat toxic plants sometimes because their digestion process is only like 2 hours total.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Better than getting eaten by a predator. Love the description of your daughter. Like kids and dogs.. Beware when the house gets quiet.

i got a good laugh out of that description too. :) :love

yes, and when you're doing laundry don't be too surprised by pee coming down the laundry chute (not me, i wasn't old enough yet for that :) ). Mom likes to tell that story of busting my older brothers for that with pee spots on their shorts... lol

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Haha, we don't have a laundry chute so that won't be a problem! She really has done all the things listed recently though. Here's her uh...getting herself a tissue. Yeah.
20191105_181124061_iOS.jpg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Same as everybody else. Livestock, then deadstock. Most of my roosters have bit the dust like this. My hens usually put their heads out of the chain link fencing and then get nailed. When your chicken gets sick, your chicken usually dies. They don't have the same ability to pull out of it like mammals do.
Most of my birds get to go to Freezer Camp at the end of their lives.
Sorry for your loss. UnLess you see other birds acting sick, like if they consumed something toxic, I wouldn't worry about it. One rooster thought it was a great idea to die right in front of my Vet!

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Same as everybody else. Livestock, then deadstock. Most of my roosters have bit the dust like this. My hens usually put their heads out of the chain link fencing and then get nailed. When your chicken gets sick, your chicken usually dies. They don't have the same ability to pull out of it like mammals do.
Most of my birds get to go to Freezer Camp at the end of their lives.
Sorry for your loss. UnLess you see other birds acting sick, like if they consumed something toxic, I wouldn't worry about it. One rooster thought it was a great idea to die right in front of my Vet!

OMG, you can't leave the story just like that. What happened? Was he sick and being examined, or just randomly keeled over?

Latest posts