Rooting epiphyllum cuttings (updated)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, despite pretty good packaging efforts by the sender, the post office still managed to mangle one of the 3 epiphyllum in my order. But I know I can get it to root...so I won't cry about it. It's a pretty large plant, as you can see from the pic, so I was wondering how many cuttings you guys think I can get from it? Will it root from the stem or from the leaves? I've started cuttings from Christmas cactus, but they don't have a stem like this.

6486_dscf1807b.jpg

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That looks like a great start!
I am not an expert at them, yet!
I will wait for Ron's input here! He will tell you just how to do this!

I see many plants here! But I will wait and learn as well.

Much luck!

Joe

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Journey

Wow, great looking cutting; I really do not think they look mangled at all!

From what I can see if you want to make as many plants as possible. I would leave the main stem as one piece (which includes the smaller leaflets, 2 on one side and 2 on the other). Then I would remove the 3 side branches each as a single cutting (these are the 3 longest offshoots). Just cut them as close to where they are attached. Then simply moist soil or water. :watering

I really did like Joe's 'humidity tent' I think that really helped his along. Were you able to see his post with his plastic tent?

I know these will do well! I think they look great!

Ron :rose

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Awesome! I was hoping do some multiplying here. :ya

I've had the scissors ready, just waiting for you guys to weigh in. LOL

So 3 offshoots, the main stem, and also I have the 5" stub left from where the PO broke the main stem off from the root ball. With that many, surely some will prosper. I'll try a couple things (I'll look up Joe's humidity tent post) and see who thrives best. How fun! I hear they are pretty hard to kill. :D

I was really pleased with the size of these plants (got them on eBay). Much bigger than I expected. I got this one, and 2 other rooted specimens just like it for $18.74 (this incl. shipping). I thought it was a nice deal. :happy_flower

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow,

That is a good deal! Did the seller mention the color of this one?

Oh, and the rootball with the stem, that will grow a new stem in less time than you think ...just keep that rootball watered and you will see a sprout really fast, probably within days!

Now I understand what you meant, because this was one plant and had roots... that is sad, but not unforgivable since the Epi is such a rebounding plant and will grow and grow!

Cool!

Ron :bee

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow Ron you hit this again just right, that is how I would cut them up. Almost to the T!

As far as what you sent. I am amazed at how it has grown!
I will take a photo and bring your gift post up to date !

Journey; I think they will do very well for you.

May I ask were you ordered from! That is a nice cutting!
I plan on collecting these for the rest of my days!

Joe

Edited to say I went to reply and lost track talking with my sweetheart. Now my post don't make much sense! :rolleyes:

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
The eBay seller is 'epotsgroup'. This variety is called "Queen of the Night". Here's a pic:

6486_queen_of_the_night.jpg

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score

Latest posts