Roots How Far Have You Moved From Your Birthplace ?

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Belgium?!

That might be interesting for me since the first person with my family name in colonial America came from the "Low Countries."

;) The story from the LDS church is that he was Dutch, but coming from England. The Belgian connection is that the same family is there. Oddly, the name was used colloquially as an occupational term throughout England and there are families, not so much in England, but in Scotland! I still haven't figured that out.

;) digitS'
family of immigrants & natives
Sorry no family there just old dog friends I spent many happy
times traveling to bring dogs of quality for clients my heart is with the
breed I had for 32 years Belgium Tervuren

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was born in Wisconsin, and lived in the same city (in 3 different addresses) until I was 18. Joined the military right out of high school; I wanted to see the world - and did. Lived in Tennessee for a year, then 3 years in Washington state. Lived in California for 13 years (San Jose & San Diego) before I retired from the military, and moved home to Wisconsin. Two of my brothers also lived in other states for awhile, we all came home eventually.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
543 miles from where I was born. Parents moved when I was 2 to Longview, then to Houston when I was 9. I hated Houston right away and left when I was 18, never looked back. Happy now right where we are.

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
543 miles from where I was born. Parents moved when I was 2 to Longview, then to Houston when I was 9. I hated Houston right away and left when I was 18, never looked back. Happy now right where we are.
Texas is way to dry and hot for me could not live in that was hard enough to handle weekends showing dogs twice or three times a year

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not very well traveled and have never been to a few of these states. It's embarrassing that I missed one in the following test of my knowledge of state borders - especially since my grandmother was born near the Kansas/Missouri border and I picked the wrong one because, obviously, I haven't studied my grandmother's birthplace closely enuf!

Only people in the United States have posted so far on this thread, so - what do you know about the states? This is the test on Buzzfeed this morning. I'll post the words at the top of the page to help you get started: "Can You Identify The US States Without Their Outlines? Get ready, this one is tricky."

"Here's how it works: We'll show you the US map WITH state borders for 15 seconds. Look carefully because after that, it's up to you to locate them on your own."

I didn't look at that 15 second map and I just tried to rely on my memory and click my answers ... Ready? Click Buzzfeed.

;) Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
That was fun. Fortunately they didn't ask for too many states on the eastern seaboard where my knowledge is fuzzy! I can't believe I missed Nevada, must have been getting too cocky to think. :p

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
You know collector, Someone just asked me: "You lived here all your life?"~Not yet said I~

I've been lota places round the world, But~

I was born in Los Angeles, grew up on folks ranch in Gardena, California~moved up to the Sierra Nevada Mountains in Like 74, that's about 500 miles, and built the House~met wife while teaching skiing, one girl was born in the mountains and the other in Australia, we added this high desert spread a few years back.

Last edited:

Latest posts