Roots How Far Have You Moved From Your Birthplace ?

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
You know collector, Someone just asked me: "You lived here all your life?"~Not yet said I~

I've been lota places round the world, But~

I was born in Los Angeles, grew up on folks ranch in Gardena, California~moved up to the Sierra Nevada Mountains in Like 74, that's about 500 miles, and built the House~met wife while teaching skiing, one girl was born in the mountains and the other in Australia, we added this high desert spread a few years back.
Sounds interesting, I like the Sierra Nevadas beautiful area.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hazy. That may reflect my misreading of Americans ... :) ...
I have never been to what some might think of as the "Heartland." I think of it as the "lower Midwest."

Officially or unofficially (according to Wikipedia), maybe I'm alone making the designation! I mean, unofficially, Wikipedia gets down to including a few river valleys and lake shorelines. Lake Tahoe?!

Officially, the Census Bureau, Federal Reserve, etc., bunch broad swathes. Coulda used time zones ...

Learned of a new "region" looking unofficially, the "Driftless" region. I think it's under the wrong heading but what I imagined was it would be in scattered locations, most everywhere, places where people don't get around much.

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got them all. I had to think on a couple, just where is that star located relative to certain things. But I've at least driven through all the 48 that are connected. That may have helped.

We've had discussions on here before about what states are in certain regions, I remember "Midwest" in particular. Where does the "West" start and end. When we were settling the country the frontier kept moving, that may play a part in the lack of agreement. At one time Ohio, Kentucky, and Tennessee were the west.

I remember talking to an Englishman about where the north of England starts. To some people in England being from the "North" is considered less than desirable, much like some of us prefer to not be called Yankees (take that @seedcorn and @thistlebloom :p ). As he explained the north of England starts about 20 miles north of wherever you live.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ha! That is like "old" is our age, plus 10 years.

Borders are far apart on the West Coast relative to the East. Certainly it's true within the "flyover country" any distance from the Pacific.

A Wikipedia editor makes the point that Colorado isn't usually thought of as a part of even the western "Mid"west, yet the geographical center of the U.S. is less than 200 miles from the Colorado border.

So, roughly half of the 48 states is on either side of Colorado's eastern border.
Steve

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
majorcatfish, Born at Lake Tahoe were you~was that South Lake Tahoe~one of our daughters was born there. Wonder what years you lived there.

born at Tahoe forest hospital.... Truckee, ca
yes somewhere over the years our paths crossed while living there...

sorry my current location ....stokesdale ,nc the east coast Goldilocks zone....

Last edited: