Rosemary

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:) Today i planted some rosemary plants in a garden pot. I was thinking of trying to get another plant to see if it would be a perennial in the ground but i don't think it would work here in zone 6 unless they have hardy varieties of rosemary and maybe if i covered it for the winter. The variety that i planted today is called Salem rosemary, it was developed in North Carolina so i doubt a variety from there will be hardy here. I made sure to have the soil well-drained so i added some sand to improve the drainage even more. Should do well in full sun.

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
"Arp" is supposed to be the most hardy rosemary. I kept one alive and thriving for years in Queens, but in Nassau County on Long Island, I cannot keep one over one winter. I have been trying for seven years. I think I had a warmer microclimate in Queens. I am planning to try rocks around this year's rosemary to block winds and hold some heat. Good luck with your rosemary!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
aquarose said:
"Arp" is supposed to be the most hardy rosemary. I kept one alive and thriving for years in Queens, but in Nassau County on Long Island, I cannot keep one over one winter. I have been trying for seven years. I think I had a warmer microclimate in Queens. I am planning to try rocks around this year's rosemary to block winds and hold some heat. Good luck with your rosemary!
Try lava rock! ;)

I ripped an over grown rosemary bush 'piece' out of someone's yard near a friend. They were going to tear it out and burn it!!! Could you imagine?! :th

Now I have rosemary jelly thanks to Hattie and Reb!

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vfem said:
aquarose said:
Try lava rock! ;)
I think I will try this! Thanks!

Lavender44

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Rosemary is one of my favorite herbs. It goes great with chicken and lamb!;)

elf

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
if you have acid soil, add some lime or ashes for most mediterranean herbs such as rosemary.