Roses by seed (Update pics 10/19)

linamree

Sprout
Reaction score
:) Hi I was so excited when I read your post this morning, I went out to see how many rose hips I have. I have several different kind of rose bushes and all have some on them. Now I cant want for them to turn so I can see if I can start new ones. Thanks for the info. linamree

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow,

Happy Mid-October!

One of my baby roses opened today. It is identical to the parent plant.

Here is the parent: Pink Rambler
6h47qa.jpg

Here is the baby rose; it is uncanny, perhaps a bit less white, but very good in the stripes.

2w70opf.jpg

nckv3t.jpg

Remember the table in the Spring?

m8397q.jpg

Here is today!

2qkqud5.jpg

Well, she is a very cute rose... I never could remember this Rose's name. I should look it up, but I always call her 'Lipstick'

Ron :rose

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That is really wonderful Ron. :clap I would LOVE to try to do roses from seed. It seems almost like a miracle to me. My grandmother used to propigate roses, or so I remember of her when I was a child... but I don't think she EVER did anything with their seed... ever!

It truly fascinates me!:love

desertcat

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Me three! This looks like fun. Gotta go call Mom and tell her to leave those rose hips alone.

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am excited to give the whole rose seed thing a try myself. I keep telling myself to be patient. I want to start them when the time is right. I REALLY need to get a soft paintbrush so I can try crossing my very pale pink with the deep burgundy red....

Thank you SO much for telling me about hips, Ron! :love

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh me too, I did some last-minute pollinating yesterday. The trick is to gather the pollen pistils before the flower fully opens. Put them in a container and label the color. It takes a day or two for the pistils to release the pollen. Make a collection of colors in containers.

The flowers with the pistils removed can then be pollinated several days later with the pollen of another rose.

By the time a Rose has fully opened is the time that it is prepared to accept the pollen. The same time Bees come around! This is why the growers do this without the petals attached to the flower. They pull them off, sacrificing the beauty, in order to cross pollinate without the bees becoming attracted to it.

I really wish I could say that I have this down, I don't. I read and read and read, and then read more. Then I haphazardly try my hand at it! LOL :th

Maybe I will get lucky or finally get it!

Ron

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That is an awesome site... she makes it look so easy! The part that is hard is pulling away all the petals.

Ron

I cannot wait! :weee Here come all the Hips! Hip Hip Hooray!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like that site about hybridizing roses so much that I put it in my favorites menu!

:clap