Roses Thursday

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Who is expecting roses for Valentines day? I always have a problem with how rose prices skyrocket right before Valentines day. Some places near me charge $300 for a dozen roses.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
My husband knows better than to give me roses for Valentines day. I refuse to pay high prices for a flower that doesn't even have a scent. I did order a rose from David Austin though. :D

Mary

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I worked in a florist for several years. The wholesale price of roses triples for Valentines Day. Supply and demand. The retail price where I was didn't triple, but it did go up some. The florist just has to work that much harder to break even. :( we used to rejoice when the customer ordered mixed spring flowers, as working with sub-par roses got old pretty fast)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The rule in this house, do NOT give me roses unless the root is still attached. I don't want dead things. :rose

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
vfem said:
The rule in this house, do NOT give me roses unless the root is still attached. I don't want dead things. :rose
Mine too! Took a couple years for me to gently hint that to my DH. For what you pay for the scentless ones that barely last a week, you could eventually have an entire rose garden. :p

I have no idea what they go for here...(the cut ones).

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would much rather have a pretty spring arrangement of mixed flowers or a potted plant. I can never make the roses last even a week. Such a waste.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I totally agree, no buying cut flowers for me, i think its silly :)

(p.s. that doesnt mean that as a husband you can get away with not giving anything for valentines day! Just get creative! And if your wife/gf/whatever WANTS cut roses than that's what you should give her!!)

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
8098_my_valentine_2013.jpg

No Roses today :) Instead I got up to find this drawn on the big school house chalk board we have in the kitchen. YEAH, he is learning. ;)

Latest posts