Roses Thursday

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
aaawww! sweet hubby there! mine would put post its on the fridge or leave a little note on the counter occasionally. i don't care to celebrate Valentine's day much either. over prices and half dead flowers don't appeal to me. since we're getting daffodils in at our local grocery store i usually get a bunch of those instead. hubby always asks why i buy myself flowers instead of letting him know i want some. i tell him that is because he spends a fortune at a flower shop for the same type of flowers i could get much cheaper from the store. and besides, he doesn't do the grocery shopping often enough to see their flowers! :lol:

he knows i'd rather have the plant to put in my garden, but anything bought this time of year in bloom is probably not going to make it to spring to be put in the ground. which reminds me, i need to put up more shelves for my houseplants so i have room for my new orchid! :p (its a phalionopsis so i won't kill that one!)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow! I used to work in a rose greenhouse! I'm skeered to say anything about them :hide.

'kay . . . My daughter is really something of a romantic. I asked her well over a week ago what she thought her Mom would like for St. Valentine's Day. . . . wait . . . wait . . . wait. On the 12th, I asked again, she told me about her favorite Valentine gift. "So, should I get that?" It had something to do with chocolates and I know DW doesn't care very much for candy of any sort . . . DD was still thinking. She's had a cold and working and all that.

Yesterday, for the 3rd time, and just before I climbed in the pickup so as to wander aimlessly around a mall somewhere, I asked if she had any ideas. "A frying pan!"

What? Kind of impersonal, don't you think? Well, it is what she was looking for the last time we went shopping. What if she hits me with it? Get her a cast iron one so that she can't lift it!

I am not going to show up on the couch Valentine's morning with a crudely-wrapped frying pan!! So, I made her a nice card . . . I thought. Found the good photographic paper to print off a lovely picture of our first gladiola one year. Put a little frying pan picture on the inside. Click "print." By this time she has shown up in the south room! I lead her out, chatting mindlessly, so that she won't see the card coming out of the printer! The dang machine snatched a cheap piece of paper and printed on that! I'm back in a few minutes, don't notice that I've picked up 2 pieces of paper, secret them in a drawer!

This morning, I discover the problem. Take all the typing paper out and put in just ONE photographic paper. Hadn't saved the card so had to start again - got the picture of the frying pans turned upside down, all of that. Clicked print, got the card folded, found the right size envelope. . . back to the 'puter!

Amazon! Found the price of some nice pans (even an assortment, if she wants it) clicked on "gift cards." Amazon, for once, asks me my credit card number . . . pretends I've never ordered anything from them! I can't get my credit card - it's in the bedroom & she's sleeping in there! Finally, she gets up. I sneak in & grab my wallet! Done!

Now, when she hands me that 2 pound box of chocolates -- I've got something! Hope she doesn't hit me with it.

Steve :hide

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got just what I hinted for: a spading fork! I was afraid I would break the pitchfork I had been using to spade up the garden. Now I can get out there and throw my weight around, lol.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is a Le Cruiset loaf pan that I've been wanting. Too late to give my husband a hint. Oh well, it really is just another day for me, so maybe I'll order it later this week. :rolleyes:

Steve, I loved your sweet attempts in your gift giving. It says a lot about you.

Mary

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I plan on having a piece or two of this cake that I made yesterday: Chocolate Mousse
I would gladly be happy to give everyone a piece. Its like chocolate heaven!! :lol:
When you haven't had chocolate in a while, this surely satisfies!

:love Enjoy Valentines everyone! :love

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Awww Steve you are a romantic after all. ;) I love that you stuck it out with the card and did not just say *I tried* and hand her a fist full of cash. Good Boy...:clap

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well,

I got a cake! It doesn't look nearly as nice as GT's and it suspiciously came in strawberry, DW's favorite cake flavor ;). There was also a 6-pack of Alaska Amber :p. I had one with lunch and coffee with dessert!

I waited until DD showed up to go shopping with Momma before bringing out my envelope. She seemed to like the card and card :). I said she didn't have to use it for the frying pan. I told both of them about So Lucky's spading fork . . . DD said, "See?!!" Sheesh. I don't understand women!

Steve :rolleyes:

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
The day with heart-shaped pancakes and heart-shaped sausage for DH. While he 'complained' that he wasn't five years old, he did have a silly grin all through breakfast. Dinner - shared with DS and wife - was steak and stir fried veggies.

DH had DS deliver a Valentine's Day card. DS brought half a dozen roses. DH and I went out for supper. We shared one meal and still had leftovers for the dog.

Hum-m-m-m, I've heard that you can start new rose bushes by putting a cutting into a potato to root . . . or in damp sand under a mason jar. I just might give it a try.

Love, Smart Red

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smart Red I sure hope you can start one of those roses. It would be nice to have them forever as a loving gift from DS.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Valentine's Day is our anniversary. Today is our 17th. I let DH know last week I wanted to go out to eat, but on the 13th, to avoid the rush at the restuarants. So we went out last night to a local seafood restuarant. It was yummy, noisy and nice to not cook. And he had me a lovely card. :love

Latest posts