RUNuts 2018 Garden thread (attempt)

RUNuts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
And another thing, what is the best way to evict fire ants? The 45 gallon plastic pots seem to attract them faster than I can put plants in them. Not a fan of the kill everything sprays because of the parrots and dogs. Boric acid and cornmeal?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Baymule Memorial Fence......:lol::lol:

Fire ants :he:he If they are in mounds, shovel up a scoop of ants and dump on another mound. Take a shovel full of ant mound and dump on the other mound. They defend their mound against intruders, let them kill each other.

In pots, not so easy. Might dig down and get some fire ant infested dirt and stir them into another pot.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
And another thing, what is the best way to evict fire ants? The 45 gallon plastic pots seem to attract them faster than I can put plants in them. Not a fan of the kill everything sprays because of the parrots and dogs. Boric acid and cornmeal?

plug holes in bottom, fill up with water, let soak for an hour, never had to deal with those creatures other than in passing.

ground parrots won't et'em?

RUNuts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Given time, the Ground Parrots disturb the nest enough it moves. I haven't seen the parrots seek the ants out and purposefully scratch them out. If I open a mound, they pick the white bits out. Then drop back, pick the ants off their feet and walk away. Seems the ants on the feet are unpleasant. I know I don't like them.

Again the Barred Rocks are most interested. The Leghorns least. I'm referring to colorations patterns not chicken breeds. :p The red ones vary.

RUNuts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
plug holes in bottom, fill up with water, let soak for an hour, never had to deal with those creatures other than in passing.

ground parrots won't et'em?

The fire ants will make a raft & float while gloating. Add a drop of detergent or poison, which is also a surfactant, and the whole ant raft sinks. Pretty impressive & satisfying. Remember I live in a swamp. Fire ants will make tall mounds to stay dry. They build up mounds on top of grasses or reeds to stay above the water.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
The fire ants will make a raft & float while gloating. Add a drop of detergent or poison, which is also a surfactant, and the whole ant raft sinks. Pretty impressive & satisfying. Remember I live in a swamp. Fire ants will make tall mounds to stay dry. They build up mounds on top of grasses or reeds to stay above the water.

maybe if they see you poking corn down in the mounds they'll scratch at them more? :)

Grizla

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
What beautiful chickens! My city allows 4 birds, under certain conditions, if you have a paid permit... I'm willing to jump through the hoops even though I'm sure it'll take years and years to offset the cost of the coop with just 4 birds at a time- now to find a house with a yard that complies with all the rules!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
And another thing, what is the best way to evict fire ants?
My technique has been about the most simple one but we don't have fire ants. I understand that they can be a painful problem.

Evicting any pest/disease in the soil is difficult. My spading fork is usually handy. I just stir the ant nest as best as I can without disturbing any nearby plant roots. Doing this twice or 3 times over just a few days is usually sufficient to cause the colony to pack up and move.

Of course, moving may just be to the alfalfa field, which can be only a couple of feet away.

Steve

RUNuts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Good day,
Sunflowers have sprouted and some have tertiary leaves. Tallest is 2 inches now.
Peas- nary a one came up. Replant in a moment.
Zucchini - growing. Did not like the transplant to the garden. Hopeful.
Butternut transplants from the flight cage. Killed 2/4 outright. 2 hanging on. Hopeful.
Pepper plants - weather turned cooler. Or transplant shock. Most just sitting there.
Tomatoes, cherry - 2 killed by free ranging parrots. Fire ants in half the pots. 4 doing really well. 2 sitting there. Front yard ones appear to be starting well. This was the bed that killed everything last year. I hope whatever did that has left. Too much fertilizer?
Cucumbers - 1 killed by free ranging parrots. 5 others showing good growth.

Sweet William/dianthus showing wonderful flowers - store bought for Crazy Lady's Valentine Bouquet. She loved and is loving them.
4/5 Redbud twigs have leaves.
5/5 Dogwoods twigs have leaves
2/2 Crepe Myrtle twigs showing leaves.
2/2 figs twigs have leaves.

Cabbages. Confusion here. Most grew a little and stopped over the last 6 months. One got really big but was mostly air. They are still green. One has bolted already. Pretty yellow flowers. They aren't liking something.
Cauliflower was SWEET! Delicious. nothing like the store. I did not get a head. I got leggy florets that I ate one at a time in the garden. Pretty tasty. Only one plant. Plant in fall.
Broccoli
- tasted like broccoli. Meh. 2 bolted so I ate flowers. Meh. Won't plant this again.

Lettuce mix sprouted. Waiting. Dog got into garden. Time to level and replant half of it.
Mustard is still hotter that horseradish. WOW.
Afraid it is too warm to plant more. But will tomorrow.

Parrots dropping 14 eggs a day from 17 girls. Finding homes, but giving most to appreciative family.
Meat birds. 2 weeks old. 6 chicks out of my 10. The brooder was hit by rats, snakes and an owl. Rough start this year.

Happy spring! Best start I've had in years. For many reasons.

Latest posts