RUNuts 2018 Garden thread (attempt)

RUNuts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, the green peas that I planted finally sprouted. Since I planted 2 packages 2 weeks apart, I have no idea if this is the first or second planting. Do green peas take 2 or 4 weeks to sprout?

I finally identified the mini bean growing wild over the grass. It appears to be hairy vetch. The yard parrots love it. It is first on the menu. The purple flowers and mimosa like leaves are fetching. Even better that it is a nitrogen fixer.

Cheers!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the other great yard legume is birdsfoot trefoil, which many lawn people consider a pest, but i love the flowers and it drops tons of large seeds. i don't know if the ground parrots will eat them or not, but i'd much rather see yellow flowers in the lawn than plain old grass... oh, but if you actually go looking for seeds, don't buy the agricultural types of trefoil because they get huge and flop all over the place (including over edges/borders and into neighboring pathways and gardens). it's a great plant though for breaking up clay. after a few years it can be turned under. :) and it is a little easier to deal with than alfalfa. which can also be used as a lawn plant, but you have to keep it mowed if you don't want it getting tall. ground parrots may like that too...

RUNuts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Got a few unexpected guests. I cleaned out the corner and uncovered a bluebird house from a decade ago. Guess who found it.

Still wish I'd gotten the martin house up.
IMG_3522.JPG

RUNuts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, I'm REALLY missing the front bed of basil. I've got one that sprouted under the other stuff in the front. Here is to more basil!

Got tomatoes forming on the cherry plants. Radishes are tasty. Peppers stunted, guessing from the cold. Sunflowers at 18" and counting. The peas finally came up. 4" and counting.

The black eyed susans in the front are almost knee high. About to have a yellow explosion! Some have started to pop.

Nasturtiums are doing great. Better than most everything else.

The Ground Parrots have planted a couple tomatoes and butternut. Making my garden look weak. Just segregated them from the plants with some 2' chicken wire ring. See if it will hold them back. They may have some tomatoes and squash. Or I might. We shall see.

Latest posts