Safe or Not

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
nyboy the newer pt lumber acq is arsenic free but still has the same amount of copper in it, which is toxic to plants... so if it's toxic to plants those toxins go right into the plants that you are growing to eat.... it's just like using a old tractor tire once filled with anti-freeze as a raised bed....
the human body needs copper, but only as a trace element.. if you decide to make the pt wood into raised beds keep all plants a minimal of 6"-8" away for the edge and do not grow any root/ tubers in those beds.
if it was up to me return the extra lumber or build some flower beds or build a deck< less that needs to be mowed>
i am in no way a tree hugger, but i do my darndest to keep my family healthy .....

Last edited:

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seems like people are very divided on this. Would painting the wood stop any leeching? I would be planting fruit trees in the beds. No root crops.

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My three cents: cancer is too prevalent--in my family, my neighborhood, workplace, community, world. Is it not the same for all of us now?
I stick with longer-lasting (in my case, cedar), non-treated lumber anywhere my food is involved.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I would be planting fruit trees in the beds. No root crops.

I was staying out of this because I'm not that well informed on the issue. But after I read your comment above I have to ask......

Why raised beds for fruit trees? Is the idea to make it easier to keep the ground below them maintained? Why not just do an edged bed around the trees and plant a tough little ground cover? Let it go crazy, you pull the occasional weed, and the landscapers mow around the edge you put down? Look up the creepers that go between pavers, lots of options that way.

If the trees are together to pollinate one another just make 1 really long edge. If not do each tree or clusters of trees. Maybe different variants to create contrast between the blossoms or leaf color. Lots of ways to really have some fun with it.

I'd go out to at least to the drip line so you have plenty of room and keeps things in check.

Just his Id do it but that's just me.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was using rough cut oak for my raised beds, but only got about 3 years out of them. After hearing that the new copper compounds were safe for that purpose, I did switch one of my beds so far to the new lumber. Not sure if it is the same compound, but copper fungicides are approved for organic gardening...

If I could afford it though, I would definitely go with cedar or redwood.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
If I remember right @Jared77 , he has really heavy clay soil and is worried that they won't live if planted in the ground.

Has someone already suggested this - return the treated to the store and use the credit against the purchase of something less worrisome.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
But how high a bed are you going to have to build to overcome that? You'd have a fortress with a plum tree for a turret! :lol:

A foot or so I can't see making that much of a difference.

If it was potatoes, or carrots ok, but fruit trees? Maybe Im missing the boat completely on this.....

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cane its a large pile of 16 foot long 2by6s not easly to just return. ( store delievered). Cane is right the place I get full sun has bad draining heavy clay, not good for fruit trees. Was told raised beds where way to go , seemed like good way to use wood. Now maybe a lean too might be better use of wood.

Latest posts