Safe or Not

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
o_O

If I had lots of good 2 by 6's, I might go for something like this: (link) Pretty, don't you think?

My own board project: I talked with the neighbor 2 years ago about replacing the fence between us. I built it about 15 years ago and I said that I was happy to do the work and at my expense. Husband and wife each had different ideas on how it should look :\. Husband is gone now and one more post is loose...

Getting 3 people to agree (DW, neighbor and me) may be easier now ... I'm concerned that I may offend the neighbor who will have to see it every day and is going through a hard patch right now.

I may go for something very light like 2' lattice above 4' solid boards to cut down on wind resistance which is breaking posts. That may give the fence a "feel" that I'm not trying to wall her out ...

Steve
just thinking outloud

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
If I've got @canesisters fooled maybe I can continue to fool the neighbors ...

;)

I resist that urge to throw open the door and begin firing the 12gauge in all directions!

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey! That's exactly what I want over the back patio. Something for vines to grow on in the summer for shade, but open in the winter for light and sun. NYboy, I could use your extra lumber!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Heck, I could use your lumber and I don't have a current project going. I do have one in the works, however. (My failing attempt to be a good neighbor.) If I lose part of my land to the neighbor (lawsuit action) I am putting spring pigs and spring chickens on that side of my property. I make it to be up-wind and about 40 feet from their back door.

They'll have the smell of pigs and the noise of roosters all day and I'll have fall pork and chicken in the freezer. Gee, my avatar doesn't look that vindictive, does it?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are you setting up a swamp cooler to protect them from the heat that just happens to blow that way? Just to make sure of the wind. Purely for the animals protection from the heat.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well Red, NONE of this is your fault if your neighbor gets into a tizzy -fit ... you can blame the odors on the wind, and the 5 am morning choir sing a long on the sunrise. Add a dairy cow herd for milk and cheese production and since Wisconsin is noted for cheese- heads, all of these will contribute to your tailgate BBQ at the packers home games. Perfectly reasonable as well as all natural and organic don't you know. :frow

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nope, @bobm. We live in the country so there is no recourse for them to complain about country noises or smells. In the past, I've caught and caged my overly vocal roosters when they wandered too close to the neighbors. See what that got me!

I'm not considering goats or cows. Of course, I didn't consider a steer or two, which is possible. I intend to give my food-stuffs proper care, but those bigger animals would need more attention and would be around for the full year. I'm not looking for extra winter work and frozen water, just delicious food and a tad miserable neighbors. Come winter, the flock will return to my chicken coop closer to the house where winter tending is easier since the neighbors won't be outside much anyway.

@Ridgerunner, this area to be fenced for pigs is wooded and usually breezy. Rest assured, I will do whatever is necessary to insure my animals have the best of care. This idea is NOT just for spite, but something we'd already considered. It is the placement of the animals that would be uncharitable.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cane its a large pile of 16 foot long 2by6s not easly to just return. ( store delievered). Cane is right the place I get full sun has bad draining heavy clay, not good for fruit trees. Was told raised beds where way to go , seemed like good way to use wood. Now maybe a lean too might be better use of wood.

I have much the same problem here too. I tried digging holes to plant a couple of trees in late summer one year and with the ground being dry I could hardly get the shovel through it.

What I do for my fruit trees is to make the hole extra wide and amend the soil to lighten it up. They don't usually recommend that you put a lot of compost and stuff in your tree holes because it tends to break down and settle the tree possibly too deep, but in this case, it is necessary. Mound it up just a little, because it will settle some. I'm talking like a 4 foot wide hole or more depending on the size of your new tree. The depth you dig remains the same, just enough to accommodate the root ball, since the roots will grow out, not down. Once they are established, assuming the tree is not something too fancy that isn't well adapted for your area or soil type, they will be strong enough to push their roots through as they grow. Amending the soil will give the tree a good start and the wide hole will prevent the tree from circling the hard clay as if it were a pot and getting root bound.

Let us know what you decide to build with the extra wood. A pergola, perhaps? ;)

Latest posts