Salsa Recipe?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
blurose said:
A few years ago I used the same "recipe" with the exception that I used my own fresh tomatoes and canned it in a waterbath canner for the same amount of time I'd be canning fresh tomatoes.
I will play "food safety mom" here and point out that it may not be smart to can salsas in a water bath unless they have lots of vinegar or such in them (use pressure-canner instead). Even for just tomatoes alone, the modern recommendation is to acidulate them with a little bit of lemon juice or citric acid (because some tomato varieties are not acid enough to ensure no growth of botulism spores); certainly if you are "diluting" the tomatoes with low-acid foods like onion and peppers the recommendation is that you need to pressure-can.

I know that most times you can get away with it, but it only takes one jar with botulism toxins in it (and you can't necessarily assume you'll be able to taste, smell or see the spoilage) to be Game Over.

Just an observation,

Pat

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks, Ma! ;)

Blurose, that sounds wonderful! Being from the southland originally, and having spent many days happily eating in Mexico, I can really appreciate salsas. I like all types! Thank you for your family's version! :)

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thank you, Pat, and your are most correct. Tutter, thanks to you too. When I do it again, I'll most definately drag out my pressure canner. I guess I was just fortunate that the salsa didn't stick around long enough to have a chance to go "bad". :p My kids and I went through about 8 quarts in as many weeks.

Edited to speak my mind after a good think on it: On second thought, why should I compromise the flavor and texture of my salsa when for years I, my father, mother, grandmother and great grandmother used a waterbath canning method for salsa and tomatos? I understand what Pat is saying, but I don't necessarily agree with the "new" regimen suggested for tomatos and salsa. Now, if it was spaghetti sauce, especially with meat in it, I'd put on the pressure canner for sure. I strickly adhere to cleanliness and sterilization precautions when I am canning. I don't even allow anybody else to walk around in my kitchen until the lids go down on the jars. I'm him-hawing on the fence here with this issue. I want to be foodsafe, but don't see anything wrong with the old tried and true way either. Maybe if I added a tablespoon of vinegar it wouldn't hurt the taste too badly. Would that be enough acidity to be considered foodsafe?

ahbee01

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Here is a safe one to can, it is so yummy,
I got it off the Garden Web, in the harvest forum. It is a well sought after recipe!

ANNIES SALSA

8 cups tomatoes, peeled, chopped and drained
2 cups chopped onion
1 cups chopped green pepper
3 5 chopped jalapenos
6 cloves minced garlic
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp pepper
1/8 cup canning salt
cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup vinegar *NOTE: If you want to can in a water bath, use 1 cup of vinegar, and water bath for 15 min.
16 oz. tomato sauce
16 oz tomato paste
Mix all ingredients, bring to a boil, boil 10 minutes. Pour into hot jars, process at 10 lbs of pressure for 30 minutes for pints.

Makes 6 pints

Enjoy this, and happy canning.
Brenda

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I realize it's not the question you asked, but my favorite recipe for salsa is the El Torito Salsa that is widely available on the Internet. I always make it fresh, so I don't know whether it can be adapted for canning purposes.

Doodle Do

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have a salsa recipe that is good, but there is nothing like a fresh salsa. So my question is even tho I do see someone said it is unsafe to do, can I make the same fresh salsa recipe, put it in my jars and then hot water bath? Is this what the most of you do?

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Doodle Do, that is what I have done for years and my father and grandmother (seperately) have also done for years and I will continue to do so. That is all I can say. You must make your own decision.

ahbee01

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Doodle Do
It wouldn't be safe,but you can freeze it!
I never tried it,but others have
When canning food you have to take into consideration the safety of yourself, and those who eat what you canned!
It is up to you.
I'm not willing to take the risk, since the end result could be death!
Not trying to scare you or even start a debate, but just my opinion!
Brenda

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Backyard buddies, I am wondering if you boil it for 10 minutes if you could then can it. I have salsa recipe that calls for boiling it first and then canning. There is nothing like fresh salsa though!

Latest posts