Sandy, Predicted

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
We got 8" of snow on my ridge (only about 900 ft. elevation). In town they barely got 2" and it melted. The mtns of WV are buried in more than 2 feet in some places. More than 128,000 customers in West Virginia are without power. I also saw pictures of traffic stranded on the WV turnpike in deep snow. What a weird storm! It's still coming down and we'll probably see more accumulation tonight. It's melting off of the trees though, which is good. Our power flickered a couple times, but never stayed off.

Wishin' now I'd gone out in the rain and picked some more mustard greens. They've been sooo good. On the bright side though, this cold will hopefully knock all the aphids off of my turnips and kale. I'm not really sure about freeze damage. Lowest I saw it get was 33 degrees, but by then everything was blanketed in snow. My roses and morning glories still have blooms.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
your kale should be fine. they are biennial or so i've found in my area! took a good freeze and then some! :) just be careful with the snow and it melting off those trees. it makes them very heavy and prone to braking even though the stuff is melting off them at the same time.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think your mustard greens should be fine too, Journey.

We had bok choy fresh from the garden for lunch, yesterday. The mustard greens are still growing, I think!

There's been more than a dozen frosty mornings but never real severe cold. Mustard can take quite a hit, anyway. Maybe some Italian sausage and potato cakes . . . keep you warm :).

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well if yours are hanging in there, Steve, then surely mine will make it. ;) We had perogies with this evening's meal. Latkes would be tasty for tomorrow. This kind of weather makes me want to eat more potatoes!

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I guess I'm just a dumb old farm boy, but what the heck is perogies and latkes? Never heard of it. It sure doesn't sound like something I'd put in my mouth ;)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't feel too bad about that. Latkes are potato pancakes, pretty common across northern Europe. At least I'd heard of them and had some when I was in Europe. Mom used to make potato pancakes but she called them potato pancakes, not latkes.

Perogies are stuffed dumplings from Eastern Europe. They can be stuffed with anything from fruit to saurkraut, but a real common stuffing is potatoes. I had to look this one up.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've tried to hold the line at .

. . potatoes in burritos.

But, it's not doing me any good. They are now doing an end run using sweet potatoes.

Steve :/