Saving Tomato Seeds, several ways

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, she does! Some of my tomato seed came from Sample Seed Store. Remy picked a good name for that but it seems it is a family name. I once knew a "Sample family." I have this picture of a "Sock family" in my head!

u8sx1.jpg

Seriously, I can imagine that sliding the seed across a piece of denim is a good way to separate out most of the gel.

"Nature's Way," that Bob mentions, has been a recipe for frustrations for me even tho' I try to make it a habit of saving one each year. Oh yes, I have volunteers but not only do I not know what they are but leaving them for a full season usually amounts to getting just 1 ripe tomato right in the middle of the plant (maybe) by first frost :/. You know, I could scoop some soil out of last year's tomato patch each winter and bring it in where it is warm . . . . :p

By the way Marshall, your family must be rightly proud of you for having finished darning your garden netting.

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Winter-sown organization has a easier way to clean tomato seeds than my old, messy way of fermenting them. It involves a bit of dish washing soap and water. I will try to find the directions.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bob! :frow

Your way works perfect for the bigfoot family. They only ever grow volunteers. Course, Mrs. Bigfoot has been known to throw their bigfoot kids around like that because she thinks that's how baby bigfoots happen because Mr. Bigfoot always throws the kids right back at her, and she's certain that's why she always has volunteer bigfoot kids.

She never listens to me Bob! I try and try to tell her they come from the pumpkin patch on the other side of the mountain, but you know how well bigfoot wimin are at listenin!

I don't think my way is much work for getting 20 seeds. Heck, barely finish a cup of coffee before being done. Now, doing full tomatoes, one after the other, uhggh! That's a lot of coffee to try to keep the concentration going.

Actually, there for a few years I was doing hundreds of seeds a day from august to october. Still have a lot of them.

Latest posts