Scarlet Runner Beans or Morning Glories?

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am planning an archway and gate to my veggie garden. I have to separate it from the chickens. I would like to have some type of vines on the archways. :happy_flower

Do you recommend Scarlet Runner Beans or Morning Glories? I understand that Morning Glories are poisonous. I am not sure if I trust my chickens to ignore poisonous plants. I am leaning toward the beans. Does anyone have experience growing these? :watering

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
They won't leave the beans alone either... If you can get them started and up your archway, they might be all right. Mine grew- but the bottom 2 feet were chewed!! Good luck!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I will always choose scarlet runners because they are just so beautiful ..productive and remind me of a dear friend who "raised" me up to be a gardener ..
plus they draw hummingbirds ..I just put bit of fencing around the bottom if they are looking like chicken victims

morning glory is so invasive here I can not get rid of it it strangles everything so would not be one to advise on that ...I know some grow less invasive species but I am not even going there ...

the beans are beautiful and so fun to shell at the end of the year ..and they taste good as green beans

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
For the past several years I buy Scarlett Runner bean seeds, they do not grow for me!!! I get one or two plants, they get about three foot tall, never get flowers, then just die!!

Morning glories I have coming out the wazoo!! My morning glories are about three feet from the chicken coop, so the chickens can't really get to them.

I do wish I could grow the Scarlett Runner beans here!!

Garden7RakingLeavesOuch.gif

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hate morning glory vines!:barnie The flowers are beautiful but the vine just takes over everything! My neighbor has it and it just runs wild. I have to constantly be cutting it off my trees, fence, bamboo, etc. It just grows out of control. Of course my neighbors doesn't keep it contain. I am always sooo mad.:barnie I keep telling hubby that I am tempted to climb up my fence and pour Round Up on it!!! Imagine, me who loves to go organic! That is how much I dislike it.

Mary

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow! Great responses everyone. You have given me some good insite.

I live just off the coast in So. Cal. and our weather is rather mild here. :bee I will check locally for the Scarlet Runner Bean seeds. :thumbsup

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I grew the Scarlet, Sunset and Golden Sunshine Runner beans this past summer.
They all did well but the Scarlet took off like crazy and the color is so bright.
The other colors I had were a light pink and a peach, still very pretty though.
I tried the Painted Lady runner beans once but I can't remember how well they did. Those are red as well.

In my area the morning glories seem to take a while to get going and by the time they are really establishing themselves the cold weather sets in.
The runner beans take off like crazy and establish themselves well, I always grow them on a teepee and the foliage gets so thick and the flowers are beautiful.
My kids love to go pick the beans off of the teepees, most of the time they never even make it to my kitchen.
They are kind of like zuchinnis though in the same respect that if you miss one today you will find a ten inch bean tomorrow.
Which my kids thought was also very cool. LOL.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
ninnymary said:
I hate morning glory vines!:barnie The flowers are beautiful but the vine just takes over everything! My neighbor has it and it just runs wild. I have to constantly be cutting it off my trees, fence, bamboo, etc. It just grows out of control. Of course my neighbors doesn't keep it contain. I am always sooo mad.:barnie I keep telling hubby that I am tempted to climb up my fence and pour Round Up on it!!! Imagine, me who loves to go organic! That is how much I dislike it.

Mary
When I was growing up, I was always told that morning glories are just pretty weeds that take over, and you should avoid planting them. Plant the beans. They, too have pretty flowers. :D

weaveagarden

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Runner Beans! No contest. :celebrate

They will be in bloom all summer and look like sweetpeas from a little distance. So pretty.

I am going to try Painted Lady and Sunset this year along with my Scarlet Emporer that I love so much. Here is a link to where I buy them. http://www.territorialseed.com/prod_detail_list/180

They are my favorite bean, by the way. I like the rich earthy taste.
1. I eat them when young as green beans
2. Then at a little bit older stage as a cassarole with some bacon, TaterTots and cream sauce or soup.
3. When the bean 'seeds' are large, I pick them and shell to make same day buttered beans,
4. Finally, after they dry, I shell them and save them as dry beans.
5. As a bonus ***They are so beautiful that I put them in a jar and store on the open shelf in the kitchen.

So versitile. Also, they grow better than my pole green beans, over winter well, and have come up from missed seeds for many years.

I would do something to protect the 'legs' of the plant. Chickens love bean plants.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh jeeze ... another one I must try ... my hummers will love it! Thanks! :bouquet

Latest posts