Scarlet Runner Beans or Morning Glories?

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
weaveagarden said:
Runner Beans! No contest. :celebrate

They will be in bloom all summer and look like sweetpeas from a little distance. So pretty.

I am going to try Painted Lady and Sunset this year along with my Scarlet Emporer that I love so much. Here is a link to where I buy them. http://www.territorialseed.com/prod_detail_list/180

They are my favorite bean, by the way. I like the rich earthy taste.
1. I eat them when young as green beans
2. Then at a little bit older stage as a cassarole with some bacon, TaterTots and cream sauce or soup.
3. When the bean 'seeds' are large, I pick them and shell to make same day buttered beans,
4. Finally, after they dry, I shell them and save them as dry beans.
5. As a bonus ***They are so beautiful that I put them in a jar and store on the open shelf in the kitchen.

So versitile. Also, they grow better than my pole green beans, over winter well, and have come up from missed seeds for many years.

I would do something to protect the 'legs' of the plant. Chickens love bean plants.
What a great website! And...And it is on my side of the country...wahoo! :tools Thanks!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just added scarlet runners to the seed train if you want some of my dear Sam (my garden mentor's) they are on there

psssst if you miss it and just want some of my own personal stash I would love to get you started on the endless road of beauty and taste called the scarlet runner ..well to be honest I am not that enthusiastic about the flavor as Weavegarden!!! she makes them sound so good ..as green beans I like them but as dried beans I enjoy them but think they are no more than "ok" good to wrap around a nicely smoked ham hock or mix with other beans for a mixed bean soup

they work hard for the garden that is for sure and give such beauty for so long...

glad we sold you ;)

weaveagarden

Leafing Out
Reaction score
HiDelight said:
I just added scarlet runners to the seed train if you want some of my dear Sam (my garden mentor's) they are on there

glad we sold you ;)
I would love some too, but don't know what a seed train is. I am new here.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
here you go ..you grab something off the last list then add your list if you want the beans you say "I take the beans" and offer ..then you post a list of what you have to share ..even if you only have a few things just try it ..very fun!

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=24786&p=20

I will post the runner beans again as soon as someone offers something like spinach :)

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
I hate morning glory vines!:barnie The flowers are beautiful but the vine just takes over everything! My neighbor has it and it just runs wild. I have to constantly be cutting it off my trees, fence, bamboo, etc. It just grows out of control. Of course my neighbors doesn't keep it contain. I am always sooo mad.:barnie I keep telling hubby that I am tempted to climb up my fence and pour Round Up on it!!! Imagine, me who loves to go organic! That is how much I dislike it.

Mary
ditto on these horrid beasts they can take over a dahlia bed in a day and then try to pull the morning glory off your beautiful dahlias ..and POP goes the head of the dahlia ...and broken stems ..they grow faster than I can move around the garden I swear!!!!!!
(a little off topic but still related to Morning glories)

RE Round Up... I have a friend who owns an analytical lab in one of the pickiest places on earth about water quality ..lets just say it is in Oregon so you guys who know understand he is really GREEN!!! ..he says in all the years he has done soil and water testing ..and it is at least 24 that I know of ..he has never one single time found any trace of Round Up in a single sample ..and I believe him..this man is very organic for the bad in everything chemical ..says if you can target the plant and use it correctly it will only kill what yo want to kill and leave everything ok in the soil and water ...so there ...you choose ..I have to be desperate but have I confessed used it ...that is it though nothing else

if I could find the END to a morning glory I would douse it that is for sure ..but do they END???? seriously I swear they are coming like phone lines out from under the house!!!

hope you got your beans lady :) and here's wishing you a great time with the hummingbirds that will find their way to your bright red flowers!

Latest posts