Scented geranium starts

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My friend gave me a bunch of cuttings from her scented geraniums yesterday. Best I can tell they all smell like lemon. Anyway, I've never grown them, but I do have regular zonal geraniums and I understand that they require much the same care. I think I am going to try to start them right in pots with either potting soil or seed starting mix. Anybody have any thoughts on which would work better?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've had nothing but bad luck with that seed starting mix. I have vowed never to use it again! I would recommend the potting soil. I love scented geraniums....

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I use this mix in my greenhouse and have been happy with the outcome --

4 parts Peat (or regular seed starting mix will work also)
2 parts All Purpose Sand (not play sand)
1 part Horticultural Grade Vermiculite

The mix is light and drains well but still holds a great deal of moisture.

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Chris, what's the difference between all purpose sand and play sand? We have tons of sand along our creek. Would that work?

Lesa, I'm not sure what's in seed starting mix, but I think it's similar to Chris's recipe. Not sure, though. I don't have the greatest luck no matter what I use to start seed, but I was thinking maybe it would work for these geranium starts? Do you have your scenteds in your beds, or are they in pots?

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I started mine in water, over the winter. Since I was trying to save money by not buying more geraniums in the spring, I thought this might be a good idea.

Not. About a 50% success rate; they looked horrible on my den window, and when I planted them, only 50% took. And they are miserable too. Oh well.

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
skeeter9 said:
Chris, what's the difference between all purpose sand and play sand? We have tons of sand along our creek. Would that work?

Lesa, I'm not sure what's in seed starting mix, but I think it's similar to Chris's recipe. Not sure, though. I don't have the greatest luck no matter what I use to start seed, but I was thinking maybe it would work for these geranium starts? Do you have your scenteds in your beds, or are they in pots?
All Purpose Sand is coarser than "Play Sand" and adds for better drainage.
You could use "creek sand" but you would have to wash it well to get out weed seeds and impurities.
I'm not sure about where you are but around here a 50 pound bag of All Purpose Sand at Lowe's is about 2.98

Chris

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sounds like I need to drive down to Lowe's for the sand, Chris.

Murphy's, I have mine in water right now, but everything I've read recommends rooting them in some kind of starter mix, or sand, or something like that. I just rooted some coleus in water and it worked great, but apparently it doesn't work for everything.

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
skeeter9 said:
Sounds like I need to drive down to Lowe's for the sand, Chris.

Murphy's, I have mine in water right now, but everything I've read recommends rooting them in some kind of starter mix, or sand, or something like that. I just rooted some coleus in water and it worked great, but apparently it doesn't work for everything.
This is what you want then.
7054_039645115251xl.jpg

The reason that rooting cutting in water isn't the best is because they get weak water roots and they also get use to all that water and are prone to wilt easier.

Chris

texas75563

Sprout
Reaction score
I used some root starter. I scraped about an inch of outer layer off bottom of cutting. Then stuck it in root starter. Placed in pot with potting soil and kept watered good the 1st week. I did 2 cuttings that way this summer. I gave 1 away and kept 1. It has grown and looks good.
I already had root starter, pots, and potting soil. Just putting them in water and placing where they get sunlight works good from what I have read.

Latest posts