Scored Today!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Went to Home Depot and there were bags of steer manure that had been opened and taped, and opened again with a "Free" sign! I gently loaded 4 bags into my car. I sure wished I had duct tape in my car though. It would have made it easier. Good thing I barely spilled any.

Now what to do with it. My beds are already planted and mulched. Should I put them all into my compost bin? Or should I hang on to them until fall planting?

Mary

photo (14).JPG

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've never seen it as "steer" manure blend. Why they would label it as steer I don't know. Probably from a steer grow-out feedlot operation. Anyway all that is irrelevant

It does not say it is composted that I can see. How does it smell? Got kind of an, uh, uh, odor de barnyard? What kind of consistency does it have, smooth flowing like compost or maybe more of a less flowing consistency?

I’m not familiar with that product. Hopefully someone else is and can chime in, but I don’t see anything there that makes me comfortable it has been totally composted. I’ve gotten “cow manure” from Lowe’s and it was not as composted as I’d have liked. If you have room, I’d suggest adding it to your compost pile.

But if someone is familiar with that product and says it is OK, My feelings won’t be hurt if you ignore me.

Free is a nice price.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
See, there was no heifer involved. . .

If it goes in the compost, the plant nutrients won't be going anywhere. Composted or not, it will be a good addition. Free money!

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I see it's blended with compost, and what that means exactly I have no idea.o_O
If it were mine I might put a layer down as a light mulch around my plants and kind of blend it into the surface soil. But whatever you do with it, it was a great find Mary!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love free! I especially love free stuff for the garden! Nice toenail polish too! Since I adopted you, that officially makes you a redneck. You MUST put duct tape in the car!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I finally had a chance to go and read what's on those bags. All it says is blend of steer manure and compost, a general purpose soil admendment. Apply 1 inch or less into existing soil and till to a depth of 5-6 inches.

It doesn't smell and looks like rich compost. If I put my nose right up to it it does have a very faint ammonia smell.

thistle, my beds already have the rice straw around them and I'm too lazy to move it back to spread some of this stuff around my plants. Besides, I added organic fertilizer and my own compost that has chicken poop. I think I'll just dump all 4 bags into my compost bin. Some of it is starting to dry out especially the ones that have big holes in the bag.

Mary

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
FREE !!! WHOOT!
Yup, I'd add it into the compost pile and prepare for the bumper crop next season.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have used that same(?) product. One of the things that it is blended with is small rocks -- at least the bags I bought were. The only place here that has rocks is in the beds I used the steer manure. Then I decided to put a layer over newspaper in the front bed. That's when I noticed all the rocks! I'm guessing that 1/3 - 1/4 of the weight was small rock material.

Probably not the worst product, but I'd never get it again. I really like my rock-free gardens.

Latest posts