Scored Today!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Then again, the price was great. Could you use it in the compost pile and screen the rocks out before using it? Of course, if you already have plenty of rocks, it might not make any difference.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good for you! I must have gotten 10 bags from the bottom of the compost pile. As I said, the price was right. I'd have taken them, too. I didn't see the rocks until the second day when the material had dried out a bit and the small rocks lost their manure-y look.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Where I live, you would never garden if you didn't enjoy planting in rocks.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh nice!

I'd add it to the compost pile. It should help the other things compost better.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, those pesky little rocks...I started picking them out of my beds and organizing them....

rockwork oct 2013 001.JPG

These are all from our property, and many from the garden beds, plus I have many more piled and waiting to be used for projects.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Rocks?? In the garden?? :epYou mean they are there naturally? What an odd concept, from the point of view of this clay pit. I would welcome rocks.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Funny post, @thistlebloom. Funny, but fine looking. I'd like to make a small 'river bed' detail here some day.

Of course I was talking about something much smaller in my steer manure bags. Like penny and dime sized rocks (pebbles?) Calling them rocks is probably a misnomer, but where there were none a pebble seems much larger.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom , you are very artistic :).

Me. I can think of nothing good about rocks except, maybe, they hold some air in the soil after they are laboriously stirred up.

Some say rocks hold heat in the soil. I think they do as much to cool the soil. Concrete is made with rock and sand and limestone. Does a concrete basement wall create an idea of warmth to your way of thinking?

Maybe sand for your garden soil, So Lucky . . . only someone like Thistle' could pry usefulness out of rocks.

Steve
oh yeah, i use pebbles to push tiny weeds back where they came from. grumpy this morning ain't i?

Last edited:

Latest posts