Scored Today!

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Around here you can go deep in the woods and come across stone walls. The trees might be tall enough to block out the sun. The walls are a reminder that the woods where once plowed fields. Some of the walls are still in good shape a 100 years later with no maintenance.

Last edited:

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Funny post, @thistlebloom. Funny, but fine looking. I'd like to make a small 'river bed' detail here some day.

Of course I was talking about something much smaller in my steer manure bags. Like penny and dime sized rocks (pebbles?) Calling them rocks is probably a misnomer, but where there were none a pebble seems much larger.

Red .... don't cows get some sort of stone in their bellies??? Maybe that's what you got.
.....Seems I've heard of this but can't quite find the file in my 'mind palace'.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Red .... don't cows get some sort of stone in their bellies??? Maybe that's what you got.
.....Seems I've heard of this but can't quite find the file in my 'mind palace'.

Cane, you may be thinking of enteroliths. Those are mineral deposits layered and layered around some indigestable bit that a cow swallowed. Like a piece of small rock, a wire, ....horses get them also and they can be deadly when they cause an obstruction.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cane, you may be thinking of enteroliths. Those are mineral deposits layered and layered around some indigestable bit that a cow swallowed. Like a piece of small rock, a wire, ....horses get them also and they can be deadly when they cause an obstruction.

And that, I suspect is the reason for "Cow Magnets".

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Another deadly thing that can occur with the formation of the enterotith is when it gets very large and heavy , then the pressure on the gut wall becomes too great , the blood supply to that portion of the gut is then blocked and the tissue becomes nectrotic and dies which then will tear through and spill the gut contents into the abdominal cavity which then causes the death of the animal.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
The "cow magnets" are inserted into the stomachs of dairy cows to attract and hold onto metal pieces that are accidentaly baled into hay bales. I have necropcied many a dairy cow with magnets covered with pieces of baling wire, screws, nuts, bolts, nails ( one that was 7" long, pieces of tin cans and one small pocket knife.

Latest posts