Scorpion Pepper Dropping Flowers

amfninja

Garden lurker
Reaction score
Howdy!

I'm growing two different varieties of scorpion peppers and a ghost pepper plant here in central Texas. One of my scorpion peppers is doing fantastic, however, the other variety is dropping all of its blooms. I planted them as seeds back in October. In January, one of my cats climbed up under the blinds to the windowsill they were on and tore all three of them to shreds. Miraculously, the unassuming stems grew back their leaves, and around the middle of February, I set them outside after transplanting them into three gallon pots. They saw a little bit of cold weather, with the nights still dropping into the lower forties, but around the middle of March they exploded with vitality. By the beginning of April, all three plants had dozens of little flower buds. Since then, one of my scorpion peppers has retained around 90% of its buds, the ghost pepper seems to have hung onto about 50% of them, but my other scorpion pepper has lost almost all of them. They are all still in their 3 gallon pots, seeing about 8 hours of sunlight a day, with temperatures during the day reaching around 85 F and the nights dropping no lower than 65 F. The scorpion pepper that is doing very well has dark green leaves, whereas my ghost pepper and scorpion pepper have more of a yellow tint. The ghost pepper was dropping its blooms, like my other scorpion pepper, but when I added fertiliser to their pots, the ghost pepper stopped dropping them. Does anyone have any idea what's going on with my other scorpion pepper plant? I have the trinidad and moruga varieties, but unfortunately I do not know which one is the one that is thriving and which one isn't. The first image (5489) is my scorpion pepper that is thriving, the second image (5490) is my ghost pepper, and the third image (5491) is my scorpion pepper that isn't doing so well. It's hard to really see in the pictures, but the ghost pepper and the worse-off scorpion pepper both have slightly more yellow leaves than the thriving scorpion.

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_5489.jpg
    IMG_5489.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_5490.jpg
    IMG_5490.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_5491.jpg
    IMG_5491.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 227

amfninja

Garden lurker
Reaction score
Top or lower leaves?
All of them, even new growth, and it doesn't seem like any leaves are necessarily more yellow than others. They're just not as deep green as the other scorpion pepper.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like they are running short of nitrogen. I’d also make sure you add a sulfur source-Epsom salt. If they still abort blossoms, could be short phosphorus.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
"These plants grow in mildly warm temperatures and super-hot areas (USDA hardiness zones 5 through 11). The best temperature for growing a Trinidad scorpion pepper plant is between 75 and 85 degrees Fahrenheit. "
It could also be poor soil.

cijedet134

Garden lurker
Reaction score
Hi buddy, I feel it may be due to a shortage of nitrogen this is occurring. Trying adding and see how it reacts for a day or two.

Regards,
Charles R Calabrese

Latest posts