1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. 2019 SEED CATALOGS!!!! - Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Seed catalogs 2019

Discussion in 'Everything Else Garden' started by Gardening with Rabbits, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Dec 5, 2018
    Gardening with Rabbits

Gardening with Rabbits Garden Addicted

I have 3 so far.
    Baker Creek
    Seeds N Such
    Pinetree

2. Dec 9, 2018 at 6:17 PM
    murphysranch

murphysranch Garden Addicted

I got Seed Savers exchange. Since I'll be downsizing and I've got way too many seeds, I won't be ordering anything.

3. Dec 9, 2018 at 9:36 PM
    Zeedman

Zeedman Deeply Rooted

Seed Savers Exchange & Baker Creek both came Friday. I seldom order from the SSE catalog, since I can pick up seeds during my annual visits to their farm... but I do request quite a few seeds through their Exchange Yearbook, which is a "catalog" of sorts.

Chances are that I will order from BC again this year, they always have something that captures my interest.

The only other catalog I expect to see is D.V. Burrell, I usually get my chard, corn, and sometimes snap peas from them. Although they carry mostly commercially popular varieties (few heirlooms), their packet sizes are very generous, and they are a good company if you are looking for larger quantities of seed. Shipping is free for quantities of 1/2 pound & under, and they have the fastest delivery of any company I've dealt with... usually 3-4 days after ordering.

Nyboy likes this.
  4. Dec 11, 2018 at 2:17 PM
    Beekissed

Beekissed Garden Master

Got Fedco today! Gardener's dream books....feels much like the old JCPenney's Christmas catalog used to feel when I was little, with every conceivable toy in that thick tome. Got hours of dreaming off that catalog!

ducks4you likes this.
  5. Dec 11, 2018 at 2:30 PM
    seedcorn

seedcorn Garden Master

Am I the only one that hates getting seed catalogs in the mail? Much rather go online and read. I know it’s stupid but when I see a physical catalog, I see resources wasted. Yet, in other similar things, no problem......

Ridgerunner and ducks4you like this.
  6. Dec 11, 2018 at 2:39 PM
    so lucky

so lucky Garden Master

No, I still like written word in paper form. I have a kindle (somewhere) but I didn't like reading on it. I much prefer real books, real magazines, real catalogs. Possibly because I like to go back a page or two, to re-read a complicated passage, or compare prices and write-ups. It is much easier for this old non-techie to do with real pages.

thistlebloom and Nyboy like this.
  7. Dec 11, 2018 at 2:51 PM
    Beekissed

Beekissed Garden Master

I too order online...but the seed catalogs sure make for good bathroom reading and for planning out a garden late at night when I can't sleep. I don't like getting catalogs from places I don't order from, though...this tells me my address has been sold elsewhere by those I DO order from and this angers me. They have no right to give that to others.

8. Dec 11, 2018 at 3:41 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Garden Master

I generally just toss them, hardly ever look through them, definitely resources wasted. I try to get seeds and transplants locally, I probably order two or three different packets of seeds a year. I know what they are before I get a catalog. I'm in a new situation so I will be trying different things to see what works, but I'll start that process by seeing what is available locally. I consider shipping resources wasted if I can get something suitable locally.

Once I'm set up I like to try something different. Often that is something I read about on this forum. I often have to order seeds for that but I just do a web search and see who sells it.

Bee, I get the same thing. If I order seeds i often get several new catalogs. I don't know if they are really selling the information to competitors. I think it is more likely many are owned by one organisation so they are sharing that address to sister companies. If you contact them and tell them to not send you a catalog they ignore you.

Beekissed and Nyboy like this.
  9. Dec 11, 2018 at 4:09 PM
    ninnymary

ninnymary Garden Master

I'm old fashion and like print format. First of all it's much bigger than my phone screen? Plus I like to take it outside and highlight or circle the items I'm interested in. Or even paperclip the pages of where I want to go.

Mary

Beekissed likes this.
  10. Dec 11, 2018 at 5:16 PM
    ducks4you

ducks4you Garden Master

East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
    Paper clipping is always fun!

ninnymary likes this.