Seed expiration dates?

frontiergirl53

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
So I am going through my collection of seeds and there are some that expired last year in December. I think that they don't matter, but does anyone think otherwise?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hear that onions and parsnips have a real short shelf life, but most other seeds are viable well past their expiration date. If you make a habit of keeping them in the freezer, in air tight containers, they will keep for years. I have broccoli and beans seeds that are 15 years old, still good germination. Tomato seeds last for years, as do cucumber seeds.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
you could always do a germination test on a few seeds to be sure if they are still viable. just put about 10 seeds between some damp paper towels and place in a plastic bag for a few days till they sprout. then do your math to figure out the germination rate for the rest of the packets.

i've had tomato seeds from 1998 that were still viable last year when i tried them. didn't have any luck getting them to produce fruit though-one i never had luck with anyways-too many days for my area.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
These are real conservative numbers from Fedco (but the table will also give you tips for saving your own seed :)). Fedco link

I'd like to be conservative but I'm not rich enuf ;).

I will pack olde seed in tight in the garden knowing I'll have gaps and need to both thin and transplant ... all that extra labor.

Often, olde seed will sprout but it won't sprout quickly and seeds will vary in the time needed. Indoor starting, I'll often have multiple varieties together in communities - 5 or 6 varieties of tomatoes marked but growing together in the same container.

Now, I've got problems! If one variety needs 15 days and others are up in 5 - big mistake having them together. More and smaller containers are answers but too late is too late.

Steve

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Something to add to So Lucky's relpy - some seeds actually do better after they old, cabbage plants grown from old seeds supposedly grow better heads.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tomatoes, lettuce, the broccoli family all seem to last for many years. I would never throw any away. You can sprout them with water in a paper towel. I don't do this-I just plant them.

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My oldest seeds are from 2009. Last year, I planted some squash from the 2009 seeds & it was prolific.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The easiest way I have found to test (sacrifice) a few seeds is to put them in the soil with some of DW's house plants.

It helps to put a sticker in there with them or write on the calendar to tell when I've done that. When I've noticed that they have sprouted, I can check the date, figure out the days, and percentages - decide if it's worth the risk. ... as the 2015 garden season approaches.

Timing is supposed to be everything in life and gardening is all about plant life. Still, there is no apparent plant life outside my window right now. But, it's easier to be patience when doing something "instead of."

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used to work in a garden center, and we tested any seeds that were left over at the end of the season, before they were repackaged and sold for the next season. The boss was an old tight German who never threw away a nickel, but he wouldn't sell corn seed after it was 3 years old (I think it was 3) even if the germination tests were very good. He said seedling vigor was just as important as germination, and corn is one of those plants that don't eventually catch up after poor seedling vigor.
I don't know if this translates to other garden plants, but I would guess it does in some plants. May have to do with the sugar content of the kernels in sweet corn. Seems like it would apply to garden peas, as well.
I bet someone in our forum could tell us!