Seed questions.

Nubsmum

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have been perusing the online seed catalogs and do know that it is good to purchase seed that is proven in your local. Now here is my ??? If the seed says it is xyz variety, can we assume that xyz variety will be the same no matter whom you buy from?

Territorial seed company is in our state but their seeds are pretty expensive when compared to other companies.

TIA:hu

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Normally. Yes and no. ;)

The biggest issue with most seed companies is the quality of the seed and their supplier. The issues come in especially heavy regarding heirlooms since most seed stock is not necessarily true to the original parent plant, IME. Most of the time if a company says it's one thing it usually will be okay. I've never had too much issue with this.

For the most part. Danvers Half Long will be Danvers Half Long in most catalogs. Germination rate may differ.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My experience has been yes and no, also.

I, too, have found that a Danver Half Long, is a Danver Half Long, is a Danver Half Long, in most catalogs.

However, that said, you have to firstly read verrrry carefully. Let's say that you are looking for, Rugged Jack kale, that you remembered having. And the catalog says, Ragged Jack, with an 'A'. That generally means that it's a variation of the original, Rugged Jack. And while not bad, most likely, not exactly as you remembered, either.

Where seed companies get their seeds from varies. And not are equally choosy as to who they buy from, so while it's assumed the variety is what is advertised, there's always that small chance that it won't be.

Also, seed companies, to be within' the law, have to have a certain percentage germination rate. They do that by taking a cross section of seeds from cold storage, and actually germinating them at certain intervals. But while some stick right at the legal limit with what is required for a legal amount of seeds germinating, some have higher standards. That's one reason seed germination rate may vary a little.

That, and how long they sit on the racks at the nursery/store, plus the conditions there (temperature, humidity etc.), which also applies to how they are handled and stored at home, and how long they are kept.

While some seeds stay good for years, some, like carrots, are best not stored for great lengths of time.

I've found that while some seed companies are more expensive than others, almost across the board seeds have gone long past the days of cheap seed packets. And when you find them cheaper, check for their date, and make sure that they were packed for this year. You may not find the heirlooms that you want from those companies, but it seems like they are beginning to exploit the interest in heirlooms to a degree now, also.

Well, that was as clear as mud, wasn't it? ;)

Nubsmum

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys/gals?? (not sure of genders here) This helps a lot. I am looking at reputable seed companies but do find some ranges in price. I do like the heirlooms for some seeds that are easy to save like peas. I am saving snow pea seeds right now for next year. I am planning on doing that with my beans as well. Anyone had luck with corn? I planted a heirloom corn as well. (that is if I get any corn ) I assume you just dry the cob and all. then pull off the seeds when dry?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The previous posts are true for hybrid seed.

With open-pollinated seed, though, it is NOT necessarily the case that (say) Red Brandywine tomatoes from Company A will be the same as Red Brandywine tomatoes from Company B. They can perfectly well be different strains, which in some cases have nontrivial differences. It depends on where the companies get their seeds from.

Pat

Latest posts