Seed starting indoors

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cat, if your greenhouse is open to the house, how does that work in really cold weather? Is your house cold? Does the house get really hot in the summer?
It gets hot in summer. We have a big fan to outlet the air. It is just one door that is open. The GH collects a lot of heat and stores it in all weather. We heat with wood so the heat finds it's way through the whole house. When we first built the GH the door was closed and it never went below freezing in the coldest weather. It is like a lean-to The ceiling and walls are highly insulated and the floor is thick cement for solar gain. It may get in the 60's in the coldest of weather.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Closet is coming along nicely. I'll hopefully have my starts going in the next week
View attachment 31091

Finished My light hanging. Now I just need to start some seeds :)

20190411_194409_HDR.jpg

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Out of the two flats, I barley had enough for one flat. So today I trimmed the tops & roots then transplanted those tiny little seedlings into one flat. They seem to be happy with their new home so far. I'll give the about 1/4 strength all purpose fertilizer next watering.
View attachment 30198

I resowed the other flat with 6 or 7 seeds in each cell this time. This means the second flat will be a good 3 weeks behind the first flat. But it is what it is.

I commented somewhere about how you started onions, but I can't find my post, but I started some of my onions like this, and oh my, I will never start onions any other way. It is so much easier than the way I was doing it. I did both ways, so it will be interesting to see if one does better than the other. I just seems a lot of work for me to get the little things in a row and standing them up and I never plant them at the right depth.

Latest posts