seed swap donations for upcoming winter seed swap

Eleanor

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm not ready yet either, I still need to arrange for some lodging nearby & put in for a few days off. The seeds aren't really arranged for transport either, need to decide what I'm taking & separate some of those seeds into separate containers.

If you are looking to break up your drive a little there is an event on Saturday at Kalamazoo College with some great seed people that might be of interest: Seed Swap and Story Share

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the weather forecast for this area for the weekend is Sunny, sunny, sunny and above freezing to mid 40s. we've not had three full sunny days in a row in the forecast since sometime last August (and no, i'm not kidding).

as to someone coming from the north i can't predict the weather or the forecast being accurate this far in advance (or even 5 minutes in advance), but i expect those coming will be aware of what they might be into. :)

ok, and, well to prove my point, this was the forecast from last night. i just checked again and now they say Saturday and Sunday are now partly sunny... still ok, but ... daytime temps in the low 40s.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you are looking to break up your drive a little there is an event on Saturday at Kalamazoo College with some great seed people that might be of interest: Seed Swap and Story Share

Ben Cohen is going to do a presentation at the local library April 14th at 6pm.

whatever i have left from this seed swap will get a second chance. :) show up early! i can talk gardens and beans for way too long... hahaha... :)

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
he's got a lot of things on his calendar this season. :) i've never actually heard his presentation.
I was actually referring to Vivien Sansour, founder of the Palestine Heirloom Seed Library, who is listed as the keynote speaker at both events.

Eleanor

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Looks like the same speaker at both events.

Yes, she is keynote at both events. Coming from Wisconsin takes you near enough / through Kalamazoo to get to Midland. Saturday's Kalamazoo event will most likely be less frentic and more personal than Sunday's - far less centered on the free seed distribution aspect that draws many and more on the sharing of seed stories, culture, and use. Saturday's agenda is designed to encourage and facilitate connections with other regional seed stewards. Two titans in the world of seed saving, stewardship and adapting seed to our region, John Sherck and John Edgerton are attending Saturday...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
we've not had three full sunny days in a row in the forecast since sometime last August (and no, i'm not kidding).
The chief meteorologist for the Seattle Weather Service office just said this afternoon that today was the first fully sunny day in 3 months there.

Perhaps you have wondered why Seattle was the home of Starbucks coffee.

Steve

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
The chief meteorologist for the Seattle Weather Service office just said this afternoon that today was the first fully sunny day in 3 months there.

Perhaps you have wondered why Seattle was the home of Starbucks coffee.

Steve
That doesn't surprise me, @digitS' . I lived in Puget Sound for three years in the 70's, arrived on Halloween & it rained or drizzled for over a month non-stop. Needless to say, it left a lasting impression. I gradually became acclimated to the constant gloom & damp of winter, got used to being wet, and learned to be a duck. 🌧🌧🌧:(

Thus far, the winter weather here has been pretty gloomy as well. Fortunately, the weather forecast looks very favorable for the upcoming weekend, more sun than we've had in awhile, and dry. Really couldn't ask for better at this time of year... which should boost attendance at both of the Michigan events.

Latest posts