Semi-new gardner needs help getting started

mrsgibber

Sprout
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am new to this site and am thrilled to have found it. I have done a little gardening before but never a big vegetable garden like I am planning this year.

Last year I grew some pumpkins with some success until the plants were overcome by powdery mildew disease. This year I tore up a field on the side of my property creating two gardens. A smaller one just for pumpkins and then a larger one for vegetables.

My wonderful neighbore brought out his 1949 Ford Tractor and turned the soil over and I am waiting for the grass to die before I begin raking a level pad.

I need help from there on.... LOL :idunnon

I am planning to grow the following but don't know when or where to begin:

Cucumbers
Watermelons
Squash
Beans
Lettuce
Sunflowers
Corn
Strawberries
Raspberries
Blueberries

Any direction you all could give would be MUCH appreciated.:pop

Oh and PS - I have six chickens that I would love to use manure from.

Thanks!

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Welcome mrsgibber! :welcome

Do you know what zone you are in? If you are in the US this link might be helpful:
http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/ushzmap.html

If you free range your chickens, they would love to get out there on that freshly turned earth. Might help with some of that grass too!

mrsgibber

Sprout
Reaction score
Thanks! Yes, I'm in CT. I would love my girls to get out but I have two red tail hawks nesting right on the side of the field where my gardens are going. I do plan to fence in the garden and then at the end of the season I can string yarn back and forth on top to keep out the hawks so they can forage through and leave some fertilizer behind for next year. :)

mrsgibber

Sprout
Reaction score
vfem said:
:welcome

You'll love it here. ;)
Thanks. I belong to BYChickens.com as well and they are great over there. So helpful!!!!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Was that '49 Ford an 8N or a 9N?

Lol, no it doesn't matter but can you get him out with a disc harrow to kill the weeds a couple of times before you plant?

Your choices and location look to me like you you could take several weeks to beat the darn things down before you start putting your precious seeds and plants in that soil.

Steve
Welcome to TEG :frow

inchworm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
The first year I broke ground on a garden, I immediately covered it with landscaping fabric to keep the weeds down. I was afraid I would have a massive growth of weeds before I ever had a chance to do anything with it. As I planted, I cut holes in the landscape fabric for the plants. As the plants grew and things were more under control, I started pulling the fabric up and replacing with natural mulching material. It worked rather well. 3 years later and I still have few weeds.

Inchworm

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Glad to see you over on this site. I also see you on BYC. I do long posts on this site also.

Last year was my first garden here as we had just moved. I also had a neighbor turn and disc with a vintage tractor, an area 50' x 75'. Last year was a tremendous learning experience, so if I may make some suggestions.

Get a soil analysis. Talk to your county extension agent. Here in Arkansas, it is free. Absolutely no reason to not do it.

After a rain, watch how the water flows, if it stands, and how it drains. Mine washed out a little on the south side, so hilled it up on the south side and planted things that you can plant on a hill, radishes, beets, carrots, lettuce, etc. I am converting this end into a permanent hill and establishing my perrenials or biennials there, oregano, thyme, chives, sage, etc. as well as other hilly things. It stopped the washing. A raised bed would have the same effect.

I did not amend the soil very much and learned a lot about the character of my soil. I actually got most of my harvest on a ten foot strip on the west side. I am amending heavily this year. So start your compost heap now and amend as heavily as you can, starting now.

Experiment with different crops. A little bak choi, chard, and kale planted early kept me and a neighbor in delicious greens for a lot of the spring and summer. Leeks were interesting. I planted them as soon as it was warm enough and I did not get any until fall. But I was getting leeks all winter long, even after the temperature got into the single digits. I did cover them a few of the colder nights. I had absolutely no experience with any of these and they were great.

Experiment with different methods and planting times. Research what the plants you want to grow need and can stand. For example, peas are a cool weather crop. If I wait until the danger of frost is past to sow them, they will not do well here at all. Your weather may be different. I currently have peas about 2" tall and my last frost date is still 2 weeks away. They have survived, even thrived, although I have left them uncovered on nights it got into the mid-20's.

Cucumbers
Watermelons
Squash
Beans
Lettuce
Sunflowers
Corn

I've had success planting lettuce before it quits frosting, although it may need coveing on heavy frost nights. All the others above you need to wait until the ground is warm. You can purchase cucumbers, watemelon, and squash already started or start your seeds inside if you want, but I just sow the seeds after the ground is warmed.

Strawberries
Raspberries
Blueberries

All these deserve their own discussion. In my short time on this site, I've seen threads on strawberries and raspberries. A search would probably find blueberries also.

Start planning your food preservation now, canning, freezing, drying, whatever. Craig's list and estate sales can be good sources for equipment. Your public library is a good source for books on how to preserve, at least, you can check out some of the books before you decide to buy them. And whatever time you have planned for preserving, triple it. It will take more than twice the time you plan.

I don't always get my crops at the peak of perfection. It still tastes better than the stuff at the supermarket.

Get ready for some hard work and allocate time forthis. It will take more time than chickens. Also get ready for a lot of satisfaction.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
mrsgibber said:
vfem said:
:welcome

You'll love it here. ;)
Thanks. I belong to BYChickens.com as well and they are great over there. So helpful!!!!!
Yes, I think we met over there yesterday during my little vent session! LOL

Here are some helpful links I've found:

http://www.kidsgardening.com/growingideas/PROJECTS/MARCH02/mar02-pg1.htm

http://www.ghorganics.com/page2.html

http://gardening.about.com/od/fruitsberriesnuts/a/Strawberries.htm

I'm using this links to help me getting going on my first garden this year. So far so good... my growing season started EARLY!