Sentry, Baymule’s Livestock Guard Dog

Rammy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Have
Sentry is sick. Last October he nearly died. I took him to the vet, got the usual round of medicine, but he got worse. I captured a urine sample and took him back. He spent a week in the hospital on IV and antibiotics. I brought him home with more antibiotics and prednisone.

He hasn’t been himself lately. His happiness is gone, no sparkle in his eyes. He doesn’t meet me up front when I turn in the driveway. His appetite is good, but something is wrong. Just not right.

I captured a urine sample this morning and took it to the vet for Sentry’s appointment. Sentry’s bloodwork showed slightly low white blood cells, but not bad. Urine had blood in it and once again, his bilirubin level is high. The vet mentioned the possibility of an autoimmune disorder.

Sentry has antibiotics and prednisone to take and the vet wants another urine sample next week.

I’m going to set up the big dog crate tomorrow and Sentry can come inside during the heat of the day. He and Carson don’t get along, Sentry is aggressive towards Carson. So I’ll have to figure that out.

Sentry is sick. Last October he nearly died. I took him to the vet, got the usual round of medicine, but he got worse. I captured a urine sample and took him back. He spent a week in the hospital on IV and antibiotics. I brought him home with more antibiotics and prednisone.

He hasn’t been himself lately. His happiness is gone, no sparkle in his eyes. He doesn’t meet me up front when I turn in the driveway. His appetite is good, but something is wrong. Just not right.

I captured a urine sample this morning and took it to the vet for Sentry’s appointment. Sentry’s bloodwork showed slightly low white blood cells, but not bad. Urine had blood in it and once again, his bilirubin level is high. The vet mentioned the possibility of an autoimmune disorder.

Sentry has antibiotics and prednisone to take and the vet wants another urine sample next week.

I’m going to set up the big dog crate tomorrow and Sentry can come inside during the heat of the day. He and Carson don’t get along, Sentry is aggressive towards Carson. So I’ll have to figure that out.
Have they checked him for kidney stones?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sentry is showing improvement this evening. I cooked chicken and rice into a mush, have him half the amount of kibble he normally gets and replaced it with chicken and rice.

@Ridgetop it’s funny that you mentioned the pond. I was thinking about taking a sample of it to the vet. He doesn’t swim in it like Buford, but will get a drink now and then. He would much rather go drink from the buckets of clean water in the sheep lot.

He has been inside all day, except for potty walks. He stays in the crate, occasionally comes out to lay on the big towel in the floor. He went out when I fed this evening, I put him in the field with Buford and Sheba. He actually ran to the front with Buford to bark, but came back. He is asleep in the crest now.

When we came back in the house, he growled at Carson. I thumped his butt and told him no.

Carson is confused by Sentry being in the house, and probably a little nervous. Sentry is aggressive towards Carson, so I’m watching him closely.

IMG_4346.jpeg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
i hope he feels better soon @baymule! i hope he didn't eat a turtle.
I asked the vet if that could make him sick, vet said no. He’s killed one, but just barked hysterically at the rest.

Turtles are making me crazy. Found one covering her nest of eggs in the open shed today—where we park the lawn mower. Since the eggs take from 2-4 months to hatch, I don’t think these will make it. What I read says not to move the eggs or they won’t hatch. Like I need a herd of turtles!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
That turtle nest doesn’t have a chance of surviving. It’s in the tire tracks of where the zero turn mower goes. Next to it is where I park the mule. Granddaughters are coming for the week, so maybe we’ll dig it up and examine the eggs. Science teaching moment. We can rebury them and see what happens.

IMG_4342.jpeg

IMG_4343.jpeg

Latest posts