Sentry, Baymule’s Livestock Guard Dog

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dealing with impacted anal glands is no fun, certainly not for the dog. And the covid-19 arrangements for vet visits is stressful. I have been going through that, too. I feel like there are questions that need to be asked, that I don't think of, during that 15 second phone call. Are you supposed to take Sentry back to the vet to check on the anal gland healing? We were taking Penny back every couple months to have the vet drain the glands, which is very painful for Penny. At least she acts like it is painful. Maybe she is a drama queen, but she is now scared to go into the vet's. Eventually the amount of what ever nasty substance was in the gland was lessening each time we went in, so I let it go longer, and now she has impaction again. Bummer. There is an operation available, for a few thousand $$.
I guess I was on a break from TEG when this mess with Sentry started, so I was not aware of your struggle, Bay. Good luck, and I will be following your difficult journey.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sentry is so smart. A wide head with wise eyes, a deep chest, big feet that he will never grow into and a small back end that looks like it should belong on another dog. It is a good thing that he won’t be 140 pounds, it would put a strain on his joints.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had our grand daughters for the past week. One morning it was raining, i realized that my corn, drying on the stalk for cornmeal, was getting wet, so i ran out and picked all of it. I sat on the porch, stripping the husks back and tying them in bunches. The 3 year old came out on the porch to play. Sentry was hanging out on the porch, enjoying chewing on a bone.

Here came the 3 year old and she grabbed Sentry's bone. He didn't want to give it up and bit down on it. Now this is a food aggressive dog with the other dogs and he will run Carson off his food. We have to monitor them at meal times. So I was watching, coiled like a watch spring, ready to come down on him with all the fury of a protective Mamaw. She continued to pull and tug on the bone, finally wrenching it out of his mouth. He wrinkled up his face, ears up, like he was saying, "That's MY bone!" Not a growl, not a snap of teeth, no aggression whatsoever. Then she started running back and forth the length of the porch with his bone. He followed, with that wrinkled face that is so darn cute, making no effort to reclaim his bone. She finally offered his bone back and he gently took it from her fingers. I was proud of him.

He has recovered well from the ruptured impacted anal gland and surgery on it. He started using that leg and now runs with the other dogs. We went from thinking we were going to have to put him down, to him becoming a member of the pack, guarding the sheep, chickens and the farm. I think he is going to have a good future.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our son came for an overnight visit last week. He was sitting in the recliner sofa, feet up, boots off, and Sentry cautiously approached and sniffed DS's feet. It was a big moment. :lol: Sentry licked a toe, sniffed again, then backed off to sit by me, on guard. :gig:gig

Next day, DS and I were sitting on the truck tailgate and he scooted over next to me and hugged me. Sentry immediately rose up and barked. I told him it was ok and he quieted down, but kept that stare on DS. I've had dogs that were devoted to me, but none that intensely guarded me like Sentry does.

When Sentry is in the house, he is where ever I am. In the kitchen, I step over him. If I am sitting in the recliner, he is under the footrest and I have to carefully lower the footrest before I can get up. If I am moving around, he positions himself where he can watch me. Outside, he is at my side. Once he satisfies himself that I am safe, he will go play with the other dogs, watch the sheep or go under the porch to cool off. If I am in the garden, he picks a shady spot outside the fence where he can be near to me.