Serbian Cannabis: Between Pain and the Law ~ couple bad words ~ subtitles

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Recreational marijuana just became legal in my state (Vermont). (Medical has been legal for some time.) I see no problem with people using it to relax. Certainly these people are less obnoxious (and dangerous) than those who use alcohol to excess, and I fail to see why anyone should be vilified for using any drug in moderation to relax and de-stress. However, I'm more interested in this plant as medical, because my husband has stage 4 melanoma, and some promising research has been done on marijuana's ability to retard the growth of melanoma. We all (the hubby, myself, and a few close friends) quit smoking (tobacco) in 1969, and also stopped smoking pot at the same time because it felt wrong to be inhaling smoke of any kind when we had given up cigarettes. I still can't believe that inhaling smoke of any kind can be good for the lungs. For my husband now, I would probably brew marijuana as a tea.

While recreational marijuana (in small quantities) has become legal, buying and selling it has not. I think it will be during the next legislative session, but for the time being it is permitted only to gift it to one another. So I'm going to be planting seeds given to me by a friend.

The funny thing is that back in the 1990's I tucked away 3 seeds from the stash of a friend, folded them in a kleenex and stored them in a jar, on a whim, and then forgot all about them over the decades. With the legislative news I remembered them and planted them this spring without much expectation that they could germinate after so much time, and yet one actually did. Unfortunately this past spring the weather was unrelentingly cold, and while my started seeds on the (unheated) back porch were never exposed to frost, they also did not receive the warm temperatures that many plants require to grow. My one pot plant withered and died, along with many other seedlings from geraniums to poppies, plants that are usually fail-proof. It was a weird and discouraging spring. Even sunflowers and summer squash planted directly in the ground on June 1st failed to germinate, and these have always been sure crops. Looking back, I believe that if I had grown that marijuana plant indoors as a house plant, it might have survived, and it would have been a gardening miracle. I'm still astonished that it germinated at all.

Last edited:

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have legal weed here in Wa. Also. I know at least 5 growers within maybe 5 miles of our house. Most of them have stopped growing already because the price per pound has been cut more than in half in the last few years, and the market is flooded. The grower that I know best told me that the setup to grow a legal pot cost $3000, dollars each time and will net him 9 pounds . It will take 3 months to produce the crop and additional help the last couple weeks to prepare for market. When he started growing he was getting $2,100 per pound now it worth $900 per pound. All the sudden it really not worth doing for him except as a sideline job.
Now the Mexican cartels have moved to smuggling in high powered crystal meth and heroin laced with high powered fentynol made for sedating elephants. And the price of those drugs is so low that middle school children on allowance can afford it. I had a nephew 21 years old who tried the heroin one time and it killed him very tragic and sad.
We don’t need recreational weed, maybe medical but more controlled than it is now. We should try to get the hard drugs stopped at the border for our kids sake and society in general. If it could be slowed down coming in the price would go way up and most would not be able to afford it.
Not to rant but I will say this, a lot of our federal politicians need a firm trip out to the woodshed.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i don't think prohibition has ever worked for anything and from what i've seen the criminal element benefits the most from higher prices. if it is legal and regulated at least people won't be getting questionable products with who knows what in them. regulate it, tax it and make it legal.

people who lack self-control abound. some are going to hurt themselves and others. that's what happens in a free society and those are the risks of being a free people. this is the same thing with guns, fire, sharp knives, fireworks, etc.

i'm sad when a child gets hurt by any of these things, but at the same time some people will only learn by experience and won't learn at all by observing others or reading about it. so while it may be sad, some people won't make it...

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I completely agree, Flowerbug. The wrong-headed "war on drugs" has caused untold misery throughout the American continent. Back in the 1800's narcotics were available inexpensively over the counter from pharmacists, and met standards of dosage and purity, and while there were doubtlessly many persons who were dependent on these drugs, there were no or very few deaths from overdoses, no cartel or cartel violence, no domestic drug related crime. We weren't throwing away millions of tax dollars on prisons and law enforcement salaries. Making any plant or substance illegal to grow or possess is the height of stupidity.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Well, we'll see how it goes ~ It should have never been made illegal ~ and so much money spent on teaching people it was evil and will make you crazy ``` Everyone who wished to could have grown that too in their garden ~ and no have had to dive down under the garbage for somthing and feel unsafe around the police ~ or be criminals for having a leaf in their hand ```

Then it wouldn't have had to be made legal and political and costly and ~ and ```

but ~ we'll see ```

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is the "aroma" in the air around here now. Its harvest time and our little town reeks of the ripe aroma of 8 ft tall MJ plants that need to be clipped and dried. Even yesterday, as I drove for 5 hours from WA down to OR, there were two patches of the freeway air that smelled like weed. Lovely (not) smell. Almost like a skunk, but not as acrid.

Reaction score
this is just a travesty! the "doctor" that thought morphine was a wonder drug was sooooooooo ****ing stupid!!! she didnt have one point in her babble that could be viable…. this is just so sad that people do not get the cure they need simply because of stupidity, people who do not read any studies and have this propaganda in their head…. its just a sad state in the world now, we need this legalized now!! healthy people should open their eyes because sick people do not have the energy or the option to fight for themselves, this is on every person in the world to change the laws!

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
There is the "aroma" in the air around here now. Its harvest time and our little town reeks of the ripe aroma of 8 ft tall MJ plants that need to be clipped and dried. Even yesterday, as I drove for 5 hours from WA down to OR, there were two patches of the freeway air that smelled like weed. Lovely (not) smell. Almost like a skunk, but not as acrid.
I hate the skunk stench. It's sickening.

Latest posts