Shade annuals

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's okay, Pat.

My favorite activity these days is gardening but I do get tired. Maybe I shouldn't be posting late in the day.

Looking at seed costs for these other things like zinnias and asters could be informative for others.

Asters are ones that I feel are neglected. Maybe it is because the plants aren't in flower at the nursery and so folks ignore 'em.

I direct-seed China asters and they will flower in September but the plants won't grow as tall and full of blooms as those started early. A sunny location generally and protect them from the bugs thru the growing season or they may get beat up not only from bug bites (leaf-hoppers seem to like 'em) but viruses begin to impede their growth.

Late in the Summer - - BOOM!! And, for one to reappear every Autumn - Michaelmas Daisies! There are some very nice colors.
But, that's enuf of this sort of thing . . . :frow

Steve

Tomatoes&Things

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Maybey I can try both:) Another thing I like about annuals is that I think it is fun panting them every year whether it's work or not. It's fun to try different kinds every year. Of couse it's probably fun to plant perennials also. Annuals are also nice when you are planting in really small spaces.

Sprout
Reaction score
Try begonias, make sure they are the shade variety. Also look to see how many hours of morning sun u get in a day, check all summer long (keep a log). In the spring I get 2 1/2 hrs but during the summer it gets 4 or longer. Since I observed this, I was able to go to part sun and I even have climbing roses and clementis thriving from the morning sun. There is a 4 foot section that gets very little sun so I put a hydrengia (everblooming - blushing bride) & a japicon kerry (? spelling), thrives in almost no sun, but gets stemmy. I have used snap dragons, salvia, magnolia, zinnas, dehlias, etc. If this area is shade in the summer and sunn in winter from dedious trees, try lenten roses ( not normal roses). They bloom early, I have some that bloom in December & January, but my newer varieties bloom in pretty much in March. They are a priennell, but they stay green in winter & basically pretty easy to care for. Go to the library, or call your state conservation office & find plants that r native in ur area, they will be easier to care for.

GardenGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
How about Four O'Clocks? I planted them from seed in an area with not so great soil and just morning sun and they were wonderful! They have a pretty sent and bloom in the afternoon, hence the name ;) I seem to remember reading somewhere that in some climates they can be perennials because they self sow. Also, pansies and johnny jump-ups (violas) are pretty and attract cabbage white and sulfa butterflies. Just a few others to consider.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
GardenGirl said:
How about Four O'Clocks? I planted them from seed in an area with not so great soil and just morning sun and they were wonderful! They have a pretty sent and bloom in the afternoon, hence the name ;) I seem to remember reading somewhere that in some climates they can be perennials because they self sow. Also, pansies and johnny jump-ups (violas) are pretty and attract cabbage white and sulfa butterflies. Just a few others to consider.
One small warning: Four O'Clocks can be very invasive. They re-seed themselves very easily and have long tubers that are hard to dig out. These tubers, if they over-winter well, will come back each year. Four O'Clocks are great in an area that you can allow for their tendencies, just be warned. I really love them and think they're are great but we have them in a small area of the property that's surrounded by walkways and walls so they can't spread.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Invasiveness tends to be subject to climate. Here in the frozen north the tubers of the Four O'clocks don't make it over the winter, seedlings only come up in the spring.

Latest posts