1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. This member need landscaping ideas - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Shade that is dry suggestions

Discussion in 'Lawns & Landscaping' started by ducks4you, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Apr 15, 2019
    ninnymary

ninnymary Garden Master

I agree with Thistle on the weed barrior. I hate that stuff! It does exactly like she says. Weeds go through it and it lifts when you weed. I will never use it again.

Mary

flowerbug and ducks4you like this.
  2. Apr 15, 2019
    ducks4you

ducks4you Garden Master

East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
    Good to know.

3. Apr 15, 2019
    flowerbug

flowerbug Garden Addicted

we usually top it off pretty high with wood chips and then not much sprouts in it. once in a while a quick skim gets most weeds taken care of. three inches i would consider too thin. anything that lets light get through won't work well for long as most things degrade with exposure to the sun. i also don't mind stacking them deep if i have them as then we can get some mushrooms (we don't eat them, but we like them to look at).

when you begin to get a lot of sprouts happening in any mulch layer that is a good sign that it needs either to be scraped up and cleaned or replaced. for wood chips they can be topped off with another layer of fresh wood chips (we do this in most gardens here about once every 5 years or so) a few times before scraping up what has been decayed. what gets scraped up is prime garden humus.

i have areas that have been weed free for 15 or more years. i have other areas that get needle fall from the pine trees that can sprout weeds but they're not too difficult to remove if taken out before they get too big.

ducks4you likes this.
  4. Apr 15, 2019
    thistlebloom

thistlebloom Garden Master

I was referencing being over a trees roots. 3" is the maximum you want any mulch that's under a tree. That is, if you care about keeping the tree healthy.

ninnymary and ducks4you like this.