Short Season Corn Varieties?

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
That was how I grew it in Montana. It grows shorter, but still very nicely. About 5 feet instead of its 8 feet it can grow to. I was using 5 gallon size. Some of those containers were then placed in ornamental clay pottery.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh! Hey, I betcha I could use it as an ornamental container plant for one of my customers who likes unique patio plantings! I have been thinking about what to do for her this year. Thanks for germinating that idea Marshall! :)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
You mean you can grow corn in containers? Darn, how come no one told me about it! Does it produce enough corn for eating fresh? How many plants do I need in a container for pollinizing?

Thanks
Mary (who wishes she could grow everything) :/

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, I'll be right there to your house with some tractors and equipment.

We'll be fixing your roof top up with 3 feet of soil on it, and this way you can have a rooftop garden!

uh ohhh, im on a late lunch break and getting into tall tale mood. Someone stop me from having any more espresso! Please!

But wouldn't a rooftop garden be cool?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Marshall, I've seen pictures of a rooftop garden in San Francisco. I think it's grown by the San Francisco Chronicle. They even have bee hives on it and extract honey.

So your idea doesn't sound too far fetch. The only problem is I have a tall, small victorian with a very pitched roof and I'm afraid of heights! :/

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I'm sure gonna grow it and find out. No matter, I will either use my mill or use your soak-it-first method. Maybe both. :p I extended a bed a little (over the property line, but who's looking?) to plant the seeds in. :lol:

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, I'll be right there to your house with some tractors and equipment.

We'll be fixing your roof top up with 3 feet of soil on it, and this way you can have a rooftop garden!

uh ohhh, im on a late lunch break and getting into tall tale mood. Someone stop me from having any more espresso! Please!

But wouldn't a rooftop garden be cool?
OK, when one adds 3 feet of soil onto a roof, then add a sprinkle or two of water out of a hose, then add some Bay area fog and that garden will suddenly deposit a mud salad onto the kitchen table whether one is ready or not. Or if the roof is steep, one will have a nice mud slide off it to make mud pies with in your front/ back yard. :confused:

Latest posts