Painted Mountain Corn

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistlebloom!! Shame on you for teasing us with HALF a recipe!! PLEASE give us a blow by blow description of how you make your corn bread! SOUR CREAM??? HONEY???? You just can't stop there! We want the whole thing. Puh-leeze

Grandma Nathalies Cornbread

dry stuff
1 C sifted whole wheat flour (I just stir, I never sift)
4tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
dump the dry stuff together in a bowl and mix together.

wet stuff
This is what I dump in the blender.
1 &1/2, or 2, or whatever, C of soaked,
drained, corn
1/4 C oil, or melted butter
1/4 C honey ( or sugar)
2 eggs
1C of milk, or sour cream, or yogurt

Blend until it looks like the corn is ground up well.
Mix the wet and dry ingredients, stir until moistened and pour into a preheated and oiled cast iron skillet.

The recipe calls for a 9x9x2 pan, so use whatever skillet you have close to those dimensions.
Bake for about 20 -25 minutes at 425.

I modified grandmas recipe for the soaked corn of course. Her recipe called for 1 C of yellow cornmeal.

Reactions: Hal

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks Thistlebloom!! :celebrateThis copied, saved and printed! I ordered the Painted Mountain corn today.......and Anasazi Sweet corn......and Oaxacan Green Dent corn......plus lots of other stuff. :lol:

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Painted Mountain became available in Australia in 2013, sadly the only seed I could secure turned out to be of very very poor quality and I got 6 plants out of 180+ seeds.
All the other corn I had planted around the same time was 95-100% germination, lets just say seeing this talk of corn bread is torture haha.
I'm trying to see if someone nearby can loan me some space to grow about 300 plants as I still have time to get it mature before winter but I feel I am grasping at straws.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom !!! @thistlebloom !!!! @thistlebloom (now go back and in the voice if Forest Gump calling Lieutenant Dan, say thistlebloom 3 times :lol:

I made the cornbread using your recipe!!! :drool :drool I didn't have to soak corn, used cornmeal and whole wheat flour I milled. I used the sour cream and instead of honey, I used sugar cane syrup. Did I say YUMMY?? DH said to make cornbread just like that from now on! We had pinto beans, Giant Red (really purple) Mustard greens and cornbread for supper tonight. For dessert we had another piece of cornbread with cane syrup poured all over it. SWEEEET!!!!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is from a person who is accustomed to getting cornmeal out of a box: Is the corn completely dry and stored off the cob, like regular old field corn? How long does it need to soak? And does the finished cornbread have hard little pieces of corn in it? Or does the soaking soften up the whole kernel?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@so lucky Fresh home grown and milled cornmeal will have you saying :tongue to cornmeal in a box. Last year I grew Daymon Morgan's Kentucky Butcher corn. I got 50 ears and let it dry. We shelled the corn off the cob and I spread it on cookie sheets until good and dry. I store it in glass jars and mill as needed. I store the extra milled cornmeal in the freezer. Using multicolored corn will result in a bluish cornbread. It is sooooooo good! :drool

http://www.theeasygarden.com/threads/me-and-the-corn.13660/

This year I will plant Painted Mountain corn. I am trying different varieties to find my favorite/favorites. Last year was the first time that I grew corn for corn meal. I will be growing my own cornmeal from now on. :p

I haven't tried soaking the corn and processing it in a blender. The milled cornmeal does have flour to small chunks in it. The little chunks are not hard, so don't worry, you won't break a tooth on home made cornbread. :love Plus it has the WHOLE corn kernel, not just the hard endosperm. Whole corn kernel has all the nutrients, instead of being siphoned off for cattle feed. WE get the most nutritionally empty parts of the corn in store bought cornmeal. :barnie If you EVER eat whole kernel cornmeal you will NEVER eat yellow powdered crap out of a box again. There is that much difference in it. :thumbsup Not to mention that store bought is most likely GMO. :sick

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Over-night soaking of the Painted Mountain kernels really softens them. They can go into the blender and then through a sieve to remove the hard parts of the corn. The already-milled corn can go back in the blender for a little more blending, then.

I looked at your mills, Bay'. Tempting and I have even lived making a lot of cornbread out at that cabin, years ago! I didn't do any milling then, just eatin'! Cornmeal was more of a staple than wheat, altho' both went in the cornbread. I really ate well during those years - I thought!

Anyway, growing the flour corn and all is a bother. I even grow some wheat every year, just for use as an ornamental - Black-Tip wheat. I'm not sure how far I'd want to take this but it is fun and tasty for me to do some of these things each year!

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
What Bay said. I don't have a mill So lucky, so I use the blender, hence the soaking.
I shell the corn when it's dry and store it in a glass jar. Before making corn bread, the night before I measure out a cup(or is it two?) give it a rinse, then soak it in warm water overnight. Then drain and process in the blender with all the liquid ingredients, and pour into the dry etc.
Sometimes I'll soak enough for two batches and store the extra drained corn in the freezer so I don't have to plan so far ahead.
Yeah, I'm doing good if I know what I'm making for dinner before dinner time. :rolleyes:

Latest posts