Short Season Corn Varieties?

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm looking for suggestions for an early-maturing, heirloom/OP, flint/dent corn variety. What I'm trying to do is find a corn variety that will tassel before the commercial corn gets to that point so that I can get pure seed from them. I have actually only grown corn once, so I don't have very much experience with it when it comes to getting good seed from them. Any suggestions for a good variety of flour corn?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, as usual I'll plug Painted Mountain, it makes great cornbread!

Not a flour corn, but one that has piqued my interest, (thanks VicJ!) is Yukon Chief. Developed for Alaskan growers it is a 55 days to fresh corn.
VicJ said it is much better than Orchard Baby, which I grew a while ago, along with Gaspe Flint.

PhilaGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm trying Mandan Bride Corn this year. It is supposed to be a great flour corn, but I hear it will take 85-90 d or so to finish (but think that is to dry seed).

Carol Deppe has bred some interesting selections from Painted Mountain that might be worth checking out! (link)

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yukon Chief I my try. Wasn't planning on it but if it's that early than why not? I was thinking of a flint or dent type because we use way more flour than sweet corn, flour and dry corn also store for a long time. Yukon Chief is a sweet corn, it's available at Sandhill if you want to try it. :)

I like the vast array of colors in the Painted Mountain corn and Sherck's in Indiana offers it, I might have to give it a try. This is the first time that I've heard of Gaspe Flint.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Carol Deppe's corn varieties sound interesting! I've been looking for her Hana Popbeans for a while. This might be another place to buy from!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
So when you make corn flour, do you use it like wheat flour, or like corn meal? And is the difference just how finely it is ground?

I know we would eat a lot more corn meal (cornbread) if I could get some non-GMO that was not so expensive.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you are using the patented Seedcorn Method :) with your Painted Mountain, your soaked corn coming out of the blender will have wide usefulness :) as cornmeal.

I suppose I had more than enough for the couple of batches of cornbread but that use just captured my interest at the moment!

Steve
edit for an attempt at spelling "corn" correctly

Last edited:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Marshall, I'll be growing your Japonica striped maize this year. It's such a beautiful corn I'm thinking of growing some in a container on the patio as a useful ornamental. :)

Latest posts