Show off your pumpkins

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Cute little pumpkin @freedhardwoods , the miniature railroad corn stalks would make your pumpkin look huge! :D

I had planned on growing some for the kids this year and was bummed when I remembered too late.

We grew them in the daycare garden several years. Then baked them with brown sugar, butter and cinnamon, let them cool a bit and filled with applesauce. The kids loved them, well, about half liked the pumpkin but it got them to try it. :)

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to The Easy Garden, @patriciacpackpack! So pleased that you found us and happy to be growing with you. Let us know a bit about your growing area, challenges and successes.

Pumpkin like the heat to grow well. I have had good years and bad trying to grow pumpkin.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
If it weren't for volunteers, I wouldn't have had much of a garden this year. I'm calling these "giant pink blob squash" since I suspect they are a cross between the Big Moon pumpkins and Jumbo Pink Banana Squash I grew last year. Two vines made 8 of these, about 50 lbs. each. I am guessing 50lb. because Savannah weighs 39 and I can't pick them up by myself, but I can pick her up.

I gave one to my mom to make pie with and the others I stuck in Ava's flowerbed for fall decoration, soon to be joined by a fodder shock. :)

IMGP0620_web.jpg

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
FYI, a little something I learned last year from a pumpkin expert (I work seasonally at a local pumpkin patch) is that the "warty" pumpkins shown on the first page of this thread are known as "galeaux d'eysines". The ones with the external warts such as that variety are best for making pies, as it is the high sugar content of the flesh inside that causes the "wartiness" on the outside. I saved my seeds from last year, and my pumpkin plant is growing like crazy in my new yard! So far, it's the only thing the deer haven't gotten to, knock on wood. That, and the kakai pumpkin plant. I put them in the ground a little late, but I'm in zone 9b & have a good shot at having some edible pumpkins by Thanksgiving.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
FYI, a little something I learned last year from a pumpkin expert (I work seasonally at a local pumpkin patch) is that the "warty" pumpkins shown on the first page of this thread are known as "galeaux d'eysines". The ones with the external warts such as that variety are best for making pies, as it is the high sugar content of the flesh inside that causes the "wartiness" on the outside. I saved my seeds from last year, and my pumpkin plant is growing like crazy in my new yard! So far, it's the only thing the deer haven't gotten to, knock on wood. That, and the kakai pumpkin plant. I put them in the ground a little late, but I'm in zone 9b & have a good shot at having some edible pumpkins by Thanksgiving.

Watch out for those deer! Here they don't bother the vines but just as the pumpkins are about ripe they take a big bite and walk away. :somad

Thanks for the tip on the 'sugar warts' ! We grew Cinderella pumpkins a few years ago for canned Kurbis, a German recipe dh came across and had to try. A few of the pumpkins had warts. Will have to take note on the sweetness next time and use the warty pumpkins first.
We didn't grow them this year so here's a two years ago show off...just a few of them. I put in extra plants to make sure we had enough... and then supplied the whole neighborhood with kurbis. :D

Picture 7051.jpg

Latest posts