Show us your tomatoes!!!!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:bow ok those are insane journey!!!! I humble to you!!!!

I would love to see one sliced :)

I am such a shamless tomato voyuer :love

today is all about tomatoes for me!

I have no real plan for this tomato feast dinner (since I put it off a day I should have made one but didn't just made the pasta sauce) I figured I would just go with my muse!

wish me luck

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
While we did have alot of rain here in the northeast, all of June and half to most of July my tomatoes grew better than anything else I planted. Well, those and the green beans.
My father lives a mile from me and he lost most of his tomatoes to the blight but was able to salvage some plants, I have been very fortunate.
I have lots of heirloom tomatoes on the vine right now that I am waiting to ripen.
My children's barber lost all of his tomato plants to the blight and my winter squash did not do well, he has an abundance of winter squash so we are making a trade.
I was really disappointed in the winter squash not doing well because I Love it but am grateful for all of the tomatoes because they are going to get me some squash. ;)
The kids really enjoy the heirlooms because they are different colors and I like all the different tastes.
I am going to do alot more heirlooms next year.

prism

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I love planting tomatoes! I should plant more and probably will next year. I usually did not have room for more but this year we started a second plot behind our house and put things that need more room there. It made room for more tomatoes in the smaller garden but I ran out of time to plant more before leaving on a trip for two weeks. I only put in 5 plants and each one is different. Some are hybrid and some heirloom. I have them written down but couldn't put my fingers on the list of which is which. I will find it this weekend.

Most of my tomatoes are still green but I picked these today - "Yellow Plum" and "La Roma".

Tomatoes%20Picked%20090409.JPG

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow,

They are so colorful and beautiful. I cannot get over how many varieties you all grow. I have space but I never seem to have enough space. I manage about 5 plants a year. Usually a cherry in the mix, most definitely Brandywine, and then this year I have what is put out by Burpee Seed called Mexican Hybrid (probably a Monsanto Designer Monster...uggh).

My Mexican hybrids can actually sit on the counter for a month (ripe) and not rot; they are such thick skinned tomatoes, similar to Roma in shape, but hard. I think this is a variety that I will love at the end of the season because of the staying qualities ( I might get some to last to January) I will let you know.

Here are my Mexican Hybrids from Burpees
v7wn6h.jpg

My Brandywine, as usual, is producing at its most minimal pace; tons of plant but very lacking in the fruit department. I have always known Brandywine to be a minimal producer, you guys must have several plants going.

Yummmmmmm, thanks for sharing all those fabulous shapes and colors.

Ron

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
omg the tomatoes are just amazing! I have no idea what this tomato is on the first page the blog I just did but will when I can reach the tag again ..(it is way in the center of the bed) the tomato is actually about 2 shades deeper in color but otherwise looks exactly like this ..

http://hidelight.wordpress.com/
I do not care to do anything else but just eat this tomato

..very juicy not mealy at all ..first it tastes so sweet sweet then tart and just this most amazing savory fresh end

I can not even tell you how much I love this for just eating like a piece of fruit

I hope I can figure out what it is called so I can grow it next year!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
HiDelight said:
. . .
how does the gold nugget tomato taste?

that is the most important thing

. . .
Sure, HiDelight, taste is the most important thing but it's not the only thing (Greensage's "staying qualities" . . . Catalina's white spaghetti sauce??!)

I mean, blight resistance is one thing. Gold Nugget doesn't have it.

Taste? It can't compete with the Sungolds and SunSugars.

Earliness? It's got the jump on all the other cherries I've grown except, maybe, Sweet Baby Girl. There's a nice little tomato on a nice little plant . . .

Earliness is important in this location with its cool nights but it's not as critical as when I lived a few hundred feet higher and could only get Sub-Arctics to ripen.

There must be many more choices now even at that elevation. Baggett at Oregon State developed a Siletz variety that I'm curious about. Siletz Oregon is a town in the hills near the coast. The plants are supposed to do very well in cool climates producing nice slicers with good flavor in 52 days!! That beats Early Girls!

But as I say, earliness isn't as critical to me as it once was. And, ability to grow and ripen in a cool, moist climate isn't necessary for here, either.

I'd be "delighted" to grow a Brandywine but without keeping them under plastic or glass to extend the season, I don't think that's possible for either you or me. There are others that might be just right for your "usual" climate. I'm starting to think that early Mediterranean heirloom varieties might be best here. Not for you but for me!!

You and I both should probably look at these new eastern European heirlooms . . .

Steve

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What a nice Blog HiDelight.

I really love how simple and elegant it looks. I am blog-clue-less; is it hard to maintain a blog?

I love the view, the sunflower, the daisies, the sedum.....I cannot wait to see next month.

Thanks,

Ron

Latest posts