Show us your tomatoes!!!!

farmerlor

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
We had (note the past tense there) some orange Kellogg's Breakfast tomatoes that were about 3 pounds apiece. BIG ol' tomatoes and SUCH great flavor. They are one of my favorite slicers. I was very impressed with the Brandywines this year too. We've added a lot of amendments to the soil and I don't know if it was that or the difference in weather this year but we had no cracking or blossom end rot in any of the many different kinds of tomatoes we grow.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Awesome! I never seen/tasted a whte tomatoe either. I suck at the seed starting and end up always buying transplants.

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
obsessed im with you, im limited to bonny plants at our local home depot .. but i will try next year, and keep trying - after seeing all the different tomatoes available .. holy smokes i didnt even know existed!
WOW .. i have learned so much from this forum .. there is a whole garden world outside of my home depot!!
thanks for the photo and the info everyone!!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
omg that white tomato is freaky!!!! how is the sauce I wonder?

I love looking through this thread!

I found my tags in the heirloom bed ..kind of embarassing to start a thread and not even know what type I planted

anyway I am going to do my side by side broiling roasting and salsa this weekend for sure

these three types are really good ones

I have a Persimmon Salad tomato
turned a deep Copper River salmon color ..is one of the best salad tomatoes I have ever had ..taste texture ..very nice

Stripped German ..also a nice tomato I like it better picked on the green side because then it has a bright lemony flavor once it ripens it is tasty but not bursting with great flavor and I do not like the ripened texture ..but I think this will be my best broiling tomato for sure it is meaty enough to put some cracked salt butter dried oregano and put on a low broil top ...that is how I liked this one best

and then my absolute favorite tomato is the Black Krim the combo of soil sunshine and just the right amt of everything made this the best put it in your hand and eat it tomato ..well EVER!!! :) all may not agree but it is a matter of taste doncha think?

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
These are the types I hope to try next year. May not manage to get ALL of them but with a few trades I have going on right now, I think I should be able to manage 70% of them. If you have tried any of these, could you please give me your opinion of the flavor/texture. I want to be sure and stay away from mealiness (blach!):

Black Krim

Mr Stripey

Cherokee Purple

Cherokee Choclate

Cherry Brandywine (never even heard of this but if it's like the biggies - YUM!)

Cuostralee

German Johnson

Kellogg's Breakfast

Mortgage Lifter Estler's

Southern Night

Dr Wyche's Yellow

Amish Gold

Manyel

Basinga

Red Fig

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Broke Down Ranch -- The only one I've tried off your list was Mr. Stripey. One of the better stripers I've tried, although I liked Hillbilly just a bit more. Mr. Stripey has a good acidity, not so lemony or light like many of the yellows/striped tomatoes I've tried. A very juicy tomato with a pretty inside.

farmerlor

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Broke Down Ranch said:
These are the types I hope to try next year. May not manage to get ALL of them but with a few trades I have going on right now, I think I should be able to manage 70% of them. If you have tried any of these, could you please give me your opinion of the flavor/texture. I want to be sure and stay away from mealiness (blach!):

Black Krim

Mr Stripey

Cherokee Purple

Cherokee Choclate

Cherry Brandywine (never even heard of this but if it's like the biggies - YUM!)

Cuostralee

German Johnson

Kellogg's Breakfast

Mortgage Lifter Estler's

Southern Night

Dr Wyche's Yellow

Amish Gold

Manyel

Basinga

Red Fig
Let's see.....the Black Krim is a wonderful tasting tomato but it will go from firm to soft in about a minute if you leave too long on the vine.
Mr Stripey is a very nice tasting, FIRM tomato. There are better tasting tomatoes but this one has a nice tomato-ey taste.
Cherokee Purple is a good one-I think I like the Black Krim better.
German Johnson-EXCELLENT slicer. Big, bold taste.
Kellogg's Breakfast-my favorite slicer hands down. This one will always have a place in my garden but again, this one will go from firm to soft in a heartbeat if you leave it too long and that happens often if you don't know that they're ripe when they're golden yellow with just a little green left on the shoulders.
Mortgage Lifter-A really nice slicer with an old fashioned tomato taste.
Amish Gold-Another all time fave.

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
farmerlor said:
Broke Down Ranch said:

Black Krim

Mr Stripey

Cherokee Purple

Cherokee Choclate

Cuostralee

German Johnson

Kellogg's Breakfast

Mortgage Lifter Estler's

Southern Night

Dr Wyche's Yellow

Amish Gold

Manyel

Basinga

Red Fig
Let's see.....the Black Krim is a wonderful tasting tomato but it will go from firm to soft in about a minute if you leave too long on the vine.
Mr Stripey is a very nice tasting, FIRM tomato. There are better tasting tomatoes but this one has a nice tomato-ey taste.
Cherokee Purple is a good one-I think I like the Black Krim better.
German Johnson-EXCELLENT slicer. Big, bold taste.
Kellogg's Breakfast-my favorite slicer hands down. This one will always have a place in my garden but again, this one will go from firm to soft in a heartbeat if you leave it too long and that happens often if you don't know that they're ripe when they're golden yellow with just a little green left on the shoulders.
Mortgage Lifter-A really nice slicer with an old fashioned tomato taste.
Amish Gold-Another all time fave.
I just hope my mouth doesn't freak out on the KB since it supposedly looks like orange juice on the inside. I have never tried the "black" tomatoes so next year will be a fun experiment. Watch, I have spent all these hours drooling over all these different types of tomatoes - I'll grow some next year and hate them.....lol

Do you have any Amish Gold seeds? I really want to try them but the only place I can find them requires $15 order then pay shipping on top of that.....

Latest posts